8995 khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepro96fan

Monday evening around 11:00 central time I was searching through the shortwave bands, and I picked up a transmission that sounded like a numbers station..There was an automated female voice in English with an echo..Sounded like she was saying Lima, Fox Trot, etc...8995 khz
I use an Eton E10 so I don't have USB, LSB capabilities...I was able to hear the signal really clear though!! Anyone know what I might have picked up?? It was pretty interesting!
I enjoy listening to numbers station as well!!

Thanks, Mike

gatorhater

You are receiving Milcom Aircraft, that frequency is 8992 USB. They also use 11.175 USB. You can find shortwave receivers that include SSB mode. I have three radios that include SSB, Grundig Yachtboy 400 PE, Sony ICF-7600GR, and a Sangean 909. Shop around for radios that include sideband. Prices are pretty reasonable. www.grove-ent.com www.radiolabs.com
Also you can try Amazon.
73's.

nexus

Actually I think that might be GCCS (Global Command & Control) stations. Probably an EAM (Emergency Action Message) which is usually a series of letters and numbers and repeated.

I've never heard an automated voice before though, so that's kind of odd.
8993.0 USB is an USAF GHFS GCCS CHANNEL.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep, most likely that's what he heard. There's a brief article from the old WUN website on EAMs that's been copied to the MT website if you're interested.

You hang around the GCS freqs long enough, you'll hear the voice.....73 Mike

nexus

Mike there are a TON of them out there. Check Ebay for SWL receivers. You'll find something there. Also might want to check the classifieds at http://www.qrz.com/ someone is usually selling something at a real reasonable rate. You also might want to check http://www.universial-radio.com/ in their SWL/HF receivers, both new and USED. Some times you can find a good deal...

I hear that the Sangean AT-909 is a good unit, but new is like 250 dollars. Check around for used ones. Another good one is the Grundig YB-400PE. Those are considered portable SWL receivers. If you want something a bit more serious, try looking for Icom R-75's or Kenwood R-5000 You can usually find some on ebay. Another great place is to goto a HAMFEST in your area. You'll find TONS of radios there and you can wheel and deal.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do your homework before you go - our SWL and utility monitoring wikis have links for numerous receiver reviews; be sure to make a small list for yourself from what you read - and you'll be much better off for it. 73s Mike

gcgrotz

gatorhater said:
You are receiving Milcom Aircraft, that frequency is 8992 USB. They also use 11.175 USB. You can find shortwave receivers that include SSB mode. I have three radios that include SSB, Grundig Yachtboy 400 PE, Sony ICF-7600GR, and a Sangean 909. Shop around for radios that include sideband. Prices are pretty reasonable. www.grove-ent.com www.radiolabs.com
Also you can try Amazon.
73's.

G.H. Just wondering how you'd compare the 7600 to the 909. I've had a 7600 for years, its been all over the world. I love listening to local FM and it seems to have good MW sensitivity for that exotic AM monitoring, and I love the S-AM on shortwave. I wish my R75 at home had that S-AM. So how does the 909 compare, considering the $100 difference? I've had people ask me about good swl rcvr and I recommend the 7600 but it is a little hard to find.

BTW, I know how you feel. Around here we say "ABC" ... anybody but 'carolina. Except Duke.

n8abd

fyi to anyone wanting a good military surplus radio:
If you contact the good folks at Fair Radio Sales in Lima Ohio, you will not be unhappy! They sell some pretty darned good militiary surplus radio receivers which will receive USB/LSB/CW and with the right additions WEFAX and other good stuff. They also have really good radios like RACAL and some Collins stuff there, too. Take a look at the website at www.fairradiosalesco.com. I think that is the right website address for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.