BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 9 pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
It never fails. On almost every long trip I take, something screws up. On this trip, the serial male plug for the 436HP GPS crapped out. I tried to hold it in with a bizarre rubber band design, but gave up. So, I am now south of KC on a Sunday with no GPS. I refuse to program Favorites for the rest of the trip.

Here is my question. What type of male plug goes into my 436HP? What is that connection plug called? The other end has a 9 pin. Can I find a replacement at Best Buy or Staples? Or is this a Uniden-designed end? I don't need the puck or anything else. I am tired of entering zip codes on this 14 hour trip.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The connection that plugs into the BCD436HP is not Uniden specific, but is rare. You will likely not find it at a local retailer.

Check out this thread. It gives tons of information on how to modify the cables to get rid of the 9 pin serial connector. It also give locations on the internet where you can order a 4 pin USB connector that the 436 uses.

GPS cable mod for Uniden scanners

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/307752-gps-cable-mod-uniden-scanners.html

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Well, that looks like a wonderful setup for someone who knows how to solder. Me? I could barely solder a coiled 1/4 guitar cord. I've attempted to solder, but I believe it is a practiced art that I do not possess. So, thanks for the idea; however, I will stick with stock. At least I can order this cable and not the entire GPS package. Thank you for the response. My fingers are bloody from typing in those zip codes on a 14-hour trip. When I return to Texas, I will order the replacement.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
9 Pin Woes

I refuse to buy an entire GPS kit when there is only one part malfunctioning, the plug that goes into the radio. So, if anyone knows the model number of the section of cable that extends to the scanner and back to the coupler, please, let me know where I can order it, hopefully Amazon.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.