900 MHz ham radio repeater in Norwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowscout

Hi everyone! I would like to know if the 900 MHz ham radio repeater is active in Norwich. I have been listening for the last couple of days to the last reported operating frequency of 927.4375 for this repeater and have not heard a peep. I have also been listening to the 900 MHz band in general to see if I can hear the other repeaters in CT and have not heard a thing either. Any thoughts, comments, ect...?

DaveWA1IKN

Norwich, CT 900 MHz Ham Repeater (N1NW)

Hi everyone! I would like to know if the 900 MHz ham radio repeater is active in Norwich. I have been listening for the last couple of days to the last reported operating frequency of 927.4375 for this repeater and have not heard a peep. I have also been listening to the 900 MHz band in general to see if I can hear the other repeaters in CT and have not heard a thing either. Any thoughts, comments, ect...?
Yes, the 900 MHz Norwich, CT repeater (PL = 156.7, input = 902.4375) is operational. Low usage is attributed to the small number of RASON amateur club members having commercial radios. Alinco has recently begun to offer the first 900 MHz amateur radio which is their DJ-G29 HT (dual band 222 MHz at 5 watts and 900 MHz at 2.5 watts). ( Not certain if this radio can operate on "splinter freqs." (i.e. 4 places past the decimal) which is needed for the Norwich as well as most of the 900 MHZ repeaters in New England). If it can operate on slpinter freqs. then purchase of the Alinco by club members is feasible and repeater usage should then increase. If interested mail me at home and I'll put you in contact with two hams who can recommend commercial HTs and mobiles, and will program those radios for you at no charge. Hope this helps - Dave-WA1IKN.

snowscout

Dave, I saw that Alinco had this dual-band. The specs for it look like that it is rated to TX from 902.000 to 927.995. What worries me is that in the specs they drop the fourth decimal place. I will have to do some more research on this transceiver. Thank you by the way for confirming that the repeater was still there and in use. I have one other question: Does the repeater send an hourly or "every-so-often" call sign to let folks know that it's there?

DaveWA1IKN

Dave, I saw that Alinco had this dual-band. The specs for it look like that it is rated to TX from 902.000 to 927.995. What worries me is that in the specs they drop the fourth decimal place. I will have to do some more research on this transceiver. Thank you by the way for confirming that the repeater was still there and in use. I have one other question: Does the repeater send an hourly or "every-so-often" call sign to let folks know that it's there?

The repeater will ID only when keyed up/in-use every 10 minutes as per FCC rules. I spoke to Mike at the Alinco Company in San Francisco area (1-650-591-1400). Mike said via menu selection you can get 12.5, 6.33 or 25 kHz frequency steps. Antenna connector is a SMA. He is trying to get the Alinco engineers to come out with a 30 to 35-watt mobil in the future. Also, Google "NC9RS" for the Northern California 900 Repeater System, where there is a bunch of good info on 900 MHz radion, antenna and repeaters.
If you want to contact me look up my ham radio call. My phone is in the telephone books in Ledyard. I can let you know what the RASON Club is doing re the 900 MHz repeater.
Dave-WA1IKN

mrcengineer

Premium Subscriber
Coverage

What kind coverage do they get on this repeater? I visit up in New England frequently, and am considering buying a 900 moto to put in the truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.