900 Mhz or 2.4 GHz data radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_Burke

It looks like I am going to have to set up a couple of remote monitoring sites.

Does anyone here have any experience with data radios working in the ISM bands?

KC0QNB

That sounds like a fun project, I had some info on a particular brand but of course I can't find it. Do you want to go ethernet?, or RS232
Here is one link I found of course you have already been looking
How far do you want to go?
As you know 900 will probably work a bit better range wise, and a long yagi would be nice.
I subscribe to a free trade pub there is a lot of adds in there here is a link. I will check later today after work and see what I can find to help you out.
Ryan

Don_Burke

That sounds like a fun project, I had some info on a particular brand but of course I can't find it. Do you want to go ethernet?, or RS232
Here is one link I found of course you have already been looking
How far do you want to go?
As you know 900 will probably work a bit better range wise, and a long yagi would be nice.
I subscribe to a free trade pub there is a lot of adds in there here is a link. I will check later today after work and see what I can find to help you out.
Ryan
I was thinking about just a serial data stream. I would sure like to be able to tell when certain equipment is on. My company does not own the equipment, so as soon as I determine that this is feasible, I will get started on getting permission to attach to the equipment.

I have looked around a bit and the variety is bewildering.

I am going to start with a site not even a quarter mile away and, if that works out well, one about three miles away. From there it could just keep expanding.

The 2.4 band is pretty busy with a lot of different stuff including 802.11B/.g WIFI stuff. We had good luck with 900 and Yagi's we normally ran RS-232 @ 9600 for remote reading/control for an electric utility.

Don_Burke

The 2.4 band is pretty busy with a lot of different stuff including 802.11B/.g WIFI stuff. We had good luck with 900 and Yagi's we normally ran RS-232 @ 9600 for remote reading/control for an electric utility.
That is pretty much what I figured. We have four 900 MHz STLs running on top of the building, which could make it interesting. At least they are on dishes, so I have a fighting chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.