900mhz baby monitor to monitor my scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6454

I have a Graco 900mhz baby monitor i use to listen to my scanners in by bedroom and i live in a high rise apartment.
Using this monitor is nice so i do not have to blast by nieghbors or keep moving my scanners.
One problem?
On both channels on the monitor at times i get interference that drowns out my scanners and there are no babies in my immediate area and i think my next door neighbor is behind it.
Does anyone has any ideas on how i can combat her?She drives me crazy!
As soon as i switch to the other channel this interference follows within 10min.
Anyone know of any other cheap device i can use that she cannot jam?
my next step would be buying a 900mhz digital baby monitor these are aroung $90.00 more than i care to spend and im not sure that is foolproof.
With summer approaching and my fans and air conditioner running i will really need something,im open to ideas.
my mistake was after i bought these i threw the box away in the recycle bin,thats how she would know the make,model ect.
Thank you any ideas because im baffled!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
This could work.....

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=427774

I think your problem isn't because your neighbor is using the same baby monitor - it's more likely that she has a cordless phone doing it to you and she probably doesn't even know it. If she IS doing this intentionally then I'd try the diplomatic approach - a neatly typed letter stating that you have determined that she is causing harmful intereference to your radio equipment and that if the interference continues you will report it to the Federal Communications Commission for investigation and prosecution as applicable under federal law, as well as take her to civil court to seek recompensatory and punitive damages for the potential harm this intentional interference may have caused to your very expensive radio equipment. (Of course we both know the FCC won't do anything about it, and there's no way she can harm your scanners one bit with a baby monitor but she doesn't know that! No one wants to be sued or investigated by the feds.)

Either way, this is one baby monitor she'll be hard pressed to interfere with, and it's only $70, so that's not too bad. Good luck.

-AZ

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Use a wireless intercom

Why use a "baby monitor" for this purpose? How about trying a 2 station intercom system? There are wireless intercoms that plug in and use "house wiring". I think there are other ways to do what you're doing that make being interfered with (and interfering with others) less likely.

hoser147

How about running speakers to the other area's that you use? I tried a set of wireless intercoms from RS and didnt care for the audio, it seemed to be weak and get interference. Hoser

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Some of the TV wireless links that transmit the audio/video, and remote control signals use 900MHz for the remote control signal, and 2.4GHz for the audio/video. Your neighbor could be using one of those.

Rover

You can find lots of cheap 49 mhz baby monitors at garage sales and thrift shops. We use one at our home and it has great range. Your neighbor probably won't be able too follow you to 49 mhz without effort. Just my 2cents...good luck

73 Rover

mancow

Database Admin
So, let me get this straight...

You think that perhaps your neighbor dug an empty baby monitor box out of the recycling bin, proceeded to lookup the FCC type acceptance ID to find the transmit frequencies, fired up a modified commercial 900 Mhz transmitter and is transmitting just to annoy you?

quite likely I must agree

:eek:

mike6454

RE:900mhz baby monitor

Most likely interference from cordless phones or something else.
I looked into wireless intercoms from westinghouse.com
found a nice set for $39.99 plugs into power on the khz area spectrum however on reviews i could get even more interference
found the solution:
An ipod splitter $21.95 and 2 -25 foot cords to run a set of speakers out to my living room,these even have volume controls
Have a buyer for the 900mhz baby monitor
Also i did try a VHF-LO baby monitor last year,babies crying on both channels
Also have a Uniden 5.8Ghz cordless phone with intercom
put the base in bedroom on intercom,handset has good clarity
Thank you for all the help!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
So, let me get this straight...

You think that perhaps your neighbor dug an empty baby monitor box out of the recycling bin, proceeded to lookup the FCC type acceptance ID to find the transmit frequencies, fired up a modified commercial 900 Mhz transmitter and is transmitting just to annoy you?

quite likely I must agree

:eek:

I died. Hilarious post.

There's a couple neighbors that have baby monitors. When there's nothing on the scanner, I'll listen for a minute. Usually just TV noises, or baby crying. When I have kids I think I'll use a spread spectrum baby monitor, lol.

SCPD

QRT
Remember I was bored once for about a minute. Did this once for a minute or two. Harmful broadcast? Idk could be argued but then again how does one know a person listens to a scanner loud and has a kid? Lol I mean you know. But I have seen people use them fm transmitters for music also for scanners say at there work and once heard someone at a red light using one for a scanner lol. Only bad side is when say you hve a favorite radio station and the other persons next door over powering lol but they don't go far think the best one I seen/heard went maybe couple blocks. I can only imagine somewhere in middle no where there is a family living on a large plot one having scanners and the rest payin him a subscription using fm music transmitters to listen in lol you know there's someone out there doing that lol

RayAir

Use a digital spread spectrum baby monitor system.
I used them for rebroadcast a few years ago, but dont anymore.
I think mine were a Graco brand but they were digital FHSS.
I lived in a subdivision and never experienced interference with digital. But I DID with 900 analog,

Go digital.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Since we're ~5 years down the road from the original post and technology has advanced somewhat, how 'bout streaming your scanner to your smartphone, LOL... :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
I think THE BEST MONITOR I HAVE HAD was in the 80s made by FISHER PRICE...

It was in the 49Mhz range and got out excellent/sounded excellent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.