900mhz Band Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary335

Lately I've been noticing some communications on a few channels in the 900mhz band, specifically in the 937.000-938.000 range. Judging by the content of the conversations, it sounds like either phone or cable company comms. Does anyone have any idea whom these channels belong to, and whether they are part of a trunked system? If they are part of a trunked system, I'd like to find the talkgroup information for the system so that I can set it up in my scanner. I've searched through the database repeatedly and haven't been able to find anything on either the phone company or the cable company.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Gary335

I'm doubting its the WGLC system. The comms I'm hearing include talk about modems, cable's, etc., which is why I said I thought it was either a phone company or a cable company. Also, i havenot heard any comms anywhere else on the 900mhz band other than between 937.000-938.000, specifically;

937.887, 937.900, 937.912, 937.925, 937.937

Those frequencies definitley look like they belong to a trunked system of some kind, so that pretty much eliminates any private company, as most don't have trunked systems.

Gary335

Yeah they are below the range of the freqs that I'm picking up. And anyway I'm fairly certain these aren't phone conversations I'm hearing.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Those frequencies match Claiborne Distributors and Aeronautical Radio, except for the 937.912...Claiborne's license is supposedly cancelled, but both companies are listed as being licensed in Catonsville, so who knows who's actually using those radios....

Gary335

I don't know who is, but I guarantee you those two aren't, based on what I'm hearing.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't rule out the power company down there either, just because they were talking about cables and modems and stuff.....BGE has all sorts of RF-controlled or -connected stuff out on poles, in residential areas, industrial parks, etc...punch BGE into any frequency list, and you'll see stuff all over the bands, a good bit of it data traffic...

Gary335

Unless I'm not aware of it, BGE does not use modems for anything in the field. The only way they would is perhaps if they were offering powerline internet service, and again unless I'm not aware of it they haven't rolled out any such service in this neck of the woods. One conversation I heard on these freqs involved the technician (or whomever the person talking was) installing a modem at a customer's residence. Again, given what I've heard I believe I'm hearing either a phone company or a cable company.

Give it a listen for yourselves. You'll agree with what I'm saying. Now is probably too late, as the comms on these channels seem to die down as the evening progresses, which consequently is another reason why I think this is either a phone or cable company.

Gary335

I don't think so. Like I said, these comms don't sound like phone conversations. From what I've been hearing it sounds like these are dispatch channels for whatever company they belong to. all the comms sound like dispatchers talking to technicians and vice versa.

Also, I have not heard any activity on any of the freqs in that listing you posted.

Gary335

I've never seen those listings before. None of those frequencies are the one's I'm hearing activity on though.

Gary335

I've pretty much ruled that out. I've yet to hear any similar comms in the 400mhz band. In fact, the only comms I've been able to find in that band are in the MTA system, which is in the upper 400's. I've also picked up some comms from the Baltimore City system, but rarely, as most are digital and can't be picked up by my Pro 97. I've also heard some aircraft comms on occasion.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm hearing is none of the above. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.