91 DeVille stereo bad static or scratchiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrod

Premium Subscriber
I have a cherry 91 DeVille with factory am-fm-cass and built in equalizer. It also has a power antenna that does work.The problem is all static or scratchiness on all speakers even when volume is at min.
At mid volume you can hear music that sounds good but still has static. I don't think it is an antenna issue for the fact that it is the same way when you put in a tape. I pulled the unit out far enough to check connectors hoping to find a loose one,but no luck I want to keep it stock
so after market replacement is out. Any suggestions? Also does anyone know how to unplug the antenna cable from the radio?

Thanks
Chuck

CapStar362

sometimes a corroded wire somewhere in the car can cause this.... only way to figure that out is to check all harnesses throughout the car.....

PITA but thats the only way

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You could have a "noisy" transistor in the amp portion. If so, it is pretty easy to fix, assuming parts are available.

Sent via Tapatalk

UvGotIssuesToo

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread... but in case a solution hasn't been found... the speakers could be blown. Stock speakers usually have cheap paper cones that tear or get damaged easily.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
You could have a "noisy" transistor in the amp portion. If so, it is pretty easy to fix, assuming parts are available.

Sent via Tapatalk
By that `model year' the DELCO radios were pretty much all ICs with *extremely few* actual discrete transistors. If `OP' is really are interested in `restoring' that vehicle close to completely I recommend that they look up and contact Deluxe Speedometer and Radio Service, they are a Delco warranty station, in Denver Colorado and find out what an `exchange' radio is going for these days. (When I worked there most of the `older' model radios sold for around $20 for straight AM and around $100 for the more `complex' AM/FM/Tape/ & Misc. `Options' `radios-sound systems'. [And!! They actually had warranties, usually 90 days but there were some, usually the older tube types that had `complications like `motorized/remote tuning', that had only 60 day warranties.} I worked there for several years and never had to do any warranty work on any of the exchanges I sent out as even the new `solid state' units were pretty much built like `tanks'.)

Status
Not open for further replies.