911 Abuse have Cincinnati Police urging the use of 211

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
http://tinyurl.com/56hqkq

via WKRC-TV 12 Cincinnati.

Cincinnati Police say 911 abuse is jamming phone lines, and potentially delaying police and firefighters to real emergencies. They're now urging those with less pressing matters to consider dialing 211, instead. So many non-emergency calls are coming in that people with real emergencies are being put on hold. Dispatchers say while someone could be in serious danger, they're answering calls from people who want information about things police can't do anything about.

If you ever have to dial 911, you would expect someone to respond to your emergency immediately.

"If my house is burning down or I'm being robbed or something terrible has happened is usually what you call 911 for," said Andrew Cawthorn, lives in Cincinnati.

Most people get it, but many don't.

Even with every operator working, three 911 callers on hold are getting a recording, "please stay on the line. Your call will be answered as soon as possible."

It's because people are jamming the phone lines, calling to find out where to park for Reds games, and complaining about their neighbor's religion.

Police say these are total abuses of the 911 system, but dispatchers also get calls for services that police can't provide.

"Like substance abuse problems," said Lt. Col. Cindy Combs, Cincinnati Police. "They may have a loved one that has some mental health issues and the person isn't acting out currently, but they basically want to know who might be able to help them."

That's why officers and dispatchers were watching a training DVD Friday. It explains how to use 211, the United Way's 24-7 problem-solving number that directs callers to services, everything from childcare to substance abuse.

"If you have a burning house call 911, but if you have a burning question dial 211," said Amy Roberts, United Way.

Although 211 has been around for five years, a lot of people have never heard of it. United Way is putting up billboards to get the word out hoping more people will use 211.

"Just like everybody knows how to call LaRosa's, 347-1111," said Terri Baston, never heard of 211. "It would be the same way I guess, just advertising. We all know the LaRosa's number. But we don't know 211."

United Way and police say getting the word out is really the key.

When they go on runs, Cincinnati officers will be handing out cards explaining the 211 tool. The cards are printed in English and Spanish.

---

jon_k

Is 211 in Texas?

411 costs money.
0 for operator gets you an operator who seems to draw their paycheck out of telling people to dial 411. They don't help with directory assistance anymore. (P.S. What the hell do operators do to justify a paycheck now days if they don't give you information anymore?)

I have called 911 to report accidents because I don't know the local non-emergency number in the town I may be driving through.

eclipse175

I think a major issue with all of the motorists with cell phones these days is calling 911 for accidents. Having been in dispatch a few times during car accidents not everyone needs to call!!!!!

A majority of the time - when there is an accident on a highway - EVERYONE calls!!!!

Time to assume that one of the 20 other cars surrounding you may have in fact already called. Or how about the other 30 cars that squeezed by the accident driving over debris or other in front of you.

Common sense is lacking these days... unfortunate to hear people calling 911 for parking information....

jon_k

I think a major issue with all of the motorists with cell phones these days is calling 911 for accidents. Having been in dispatch a few times during car accidents not everyone needs to call!!!!!
A majority of the time - when there is an accident on a highway - EVERYONE calls!!!![/quote]

I've got a friend who has worked dispatch. No need to complain about it here, talking to the choir. Unfortunately every other idiot and their retarded dog will continue to call in, no matter how many people you talk to. Unfortunately of course people will call in. You never know if anyone has called or not until the police arrive. It is one of your job perks I suppose to say "yes we know."

I work for an internet hosting company and everyone and their idiot dog calls in when the network goes down in an emergency. I take about 110 calls in 15 minutes. You'd think if everything was offline we'd already know, but people insist as you know. ;-)

That is why I asked if this is available in my area. For our police department, the same dispatchers answer both the 911 phone queue in addition to the non-emergency number. Obviously the 911 queue will get answered before non-emergency calls.

If I had the non-emergency number I would do my part in keeping the 911 queue open for real emergencies. Unfortunately I don't, nor care to store it in my phonebook for every city I pass through.

This city is very smart to have a 211 number for non-emergencies. That way whatever city your in, you can punch 211 and get that cities dispatch department without tieing up priority lines.

Unfortunately, you will still have idiots who call 911 over the most retarded issues. My friend who worked 911 dispatch told me they had a SALESMAN call their 911 number more than once!

Time to assume that one of the 20 other cars surrounding you may have in fact already called. Or how about the other 30 cars that squeezed by the accident driving over debris or other in front of you.

Common sense is lacking these days... unfortunate to hear people calling 911 for parking information...

D

DaveNF2G

211? The designated number for non-emergency calls to 911 centers is 311.

I noticed that 211 is a United Way number. Telling people who have a hard time distinguishing an emergency from a non-emergency to call somewhere unrelated to 911 is a big mistake.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
311 also used in Baltimore City -- same basic concept.

If someone calls 911 to ask where to park for a baseball game, the the incoming 911 call volume is low, the call taker should direct the caller to a specific location, where the police meet them, strike them about the head and neck, Taser them, and fine them for being a complete idiot.

djl998

It boggles my mind that someone would call 911 to ask about parking. People who do stuff like that should be prosecuted for abusing the 911 system.

This makes me think of something from my childhood. I remember when I was little, probably in first or second grade, a police officer came into our classroom to talk about 911. I remember him telling us, very clearly, that 911 was for emergencies only and that if we called 911 for any other reason we'd be in serious trouble.

Well, adulthood shatters all kinds of fantasies, and the idea that you could somehow be made to answer for misusing the 911 system goes right out the door. It's one thing to have 30 people calling in about a road accident, at least people care enough to report it! The idea that you could call 911 to ask about parking or to complain about your neighbor, it's amazing to me that it would even cross someone's mind.

jon_k

The idea that you could call 911 to ask about parking or to complain about your neighbor, it's amazing to me that it would even cross someone's mind.

Yep. I said above that a telemarketing company started calling the North Richland Hills 911 dispatch. I had a friend who said they got about 4-5 calls in a week from the telemarketers. Each time the telemarketers would hang up when they found out it was 911. :D:D:D:D

DPD1

Problem is, they don't want non emergency calls to 911, but they're so use to everybody using 911 for everything, that they don't have anybody else trained to take calls. I called LAPD twice for things that weren't exactly emergencies... One was some guy videotaping my neighbors kids over their fence, another was a crazy guy who was following me in his car. Each time I called the nearest PD station and they acted like I was an idiot for calling them directly and couldn't care less. On one instance the cop actually said: "so what do you want us to do"? Nice.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

Astrak

I thought 311 was used everywhere for non-emergency. My last two cell phones tell you what the different #11's are when you dial them.

N

nec208

Problem is, they don't want non emergency calls to 911, but they're so use to everybody using 911 for everything, that they don't have anybody else trained to take calls. I called LAPD twice for things that weren't exactly emergencies... One was some guy videotaping my neighbors kids over their fence, another was a crazy guy who was following me in his car. Each time I called the nearest PD station and they acted like I was an idiot for calling them directly and couldn't care less. On one instance the cop actually said: "so what do you want us to do"? Nice.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

I blame the government not the police .It should be law in Canada and the US what 911 is and what 311 is.And make it law they teach it in school ..Get it Universal and teach it in school .People have a hard time with big numbers they do better with small numbers and many do not know the numbers.Send letters to homes of what 911 is and what 311 is.

Well people should not call 911 for PD only a MVC.A PD gets you police and tow truck.A MCV gets you EMS,PD,FD and tow truck.I mean if no one is injured or traped why call 911?That is what it is a property damage like in a parking lot

Has for calls like this some departments tell you to go to a reporting center and some will dispatch a unit to you.

That is why a 311 number would come in good like a PD or videotaping neighbors kids,noise complaint,some car parked in front of my home,some person in front of my home,complaint call and stuff like this.

N

nec208

This makes me think of something from my childhood. I remember when I was little, probably in first or second grade, a police officer came into our classroom to talk about 911. I remember him telling us, very clearly, that 911 was for emergencies only and that if we called 911 for any other reason we'd be in serious trouble.

People who call 911 to get information or want information should go to jail.You have 4 times of calls.A emergency,non emergency a borderline emergency and information or reporting ..

karldotcom

yes, LAPD is the worst....if someone isnt bleeding from a gun or knife, they wont respond....unless someone knocked over a City LIght pole, then its all units Code 3.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I thought that there was a law against using 911 for non-emergencies. like a fine or something, they said that when Good Morning America displays their "beautiful" 911 calls

lol AZScanner, the high officials think they can do anything and above the law, off duty police get special treatment,
My father has a store and numerous police officers come in and talk to him. one time a police officer told my father that when off duty police get pulled over their badge seems to "fall out" of their wallet when they get their ID
speacial treatment casue they think they are above

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.