911 Dispatcher Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Even though this happened in Fulton County, Georgia, I didn't want to put it there so people wouldn't miss it.

911 Dispatcher You may have to create a bogus user ID and password for it. In a nutshell, this dispatcher sent a crew to the southside of Fulton County instead of the northside for almost 30 minutes. The dispatcher has been fired (and has a long history of violations on her record), but has appealed it.

SAR923

I don't know what this dispatcher's history is but there were a number of problems, some of which were not of her own making. That call came in in the non-emergency line by cell phone so the normal E911 methods of locating this woman wouldn't work. I listened to the tape several times and it wasn't clear to me if the victim was saying "Street" or "Drive". There was also a change three days earlier, with no training, that Rural-Metro Ambulance dispatch had to be called directly instead of through the usual 911 system. While I'm sorry this woman died, those of you who are medics can recognize the sounds of agonal respirations. It wouldn't have mattered if the ambulance had been around the corner, this woman could not be saved. It sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around and this dipatcher has been picked to be the sacrificial lamb.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The dispatcher has had several years of suspensions, written warnings, but no termination. Fell asleep on the job is the biggest one. Apparently, no one had the gonads to terminate this person.

The recording did state the tower that the call came in on, which is a good 30-40 miles north of where she sent EMS.

Sad incident.

N

nec208

It must be a small town if you are falling asleep:eek:

The dispatcher has had several years of suspensions, written warnings, but no termination. Fell asleep on the job is the biggest one. Apparently, no one had the gonads
to terminate this person.
http://wsbradio.com/news/081408911history.html

The fatal mistake by ta Fulton County 911 operator that led to the death of a Johns Creek woman wasn't the dispatchers first error. In fact, it was the latest in a long list of transgressions.
We're also learning that, despite claims on its website, the Fulton County 911 center is not accredited.

The website claims the center is one of only 28 in existance to achieve accreditation. But no such accreditation exists for Fulton County's center.

We're also learning about the employment history of the dispatcher involved in last week's debacle that ended in the death of the Johns Creek mother.

Gina Conteh worked as a dispatcher in Fulton County's emergency center for close to 12 years, years that were marked with mistakes, insubordination and dereliction of duty that led to attempts to fire her not once, but twice.

A check of Conteh's employment record shows fights with fellow workers, numerous late arrivals for work, insubordination, repeatedly falling asleep on the job, and multiple times where she sent emergency crews to the wrong address.

The last of those contributed to the death of Darlene Dukes.

Dukes called 911 on August 2, using her cell phone from inside her home in Johns Creek. She reported difficulty in breathing and pleaded for help.

But Conteh sent EMT's to a home on Wells Street, in Atlanta, and not to Dukes' house on Wales Street, in Johns Creek.

Investigators say that, despite the similarities in street names, Conteh should have seen the call was coming from a cell tower in Fulton County, and not Atlanta, and recognized where Dukes was located.

It took nearly an hour for an ambulance to arrive at Dukes' home. By that time, Dukes was dead.

Conteh's work record shows she began her employment with Fulton County in 1996, after working in a retirement community, and as a clerk at QuikTrip.

While she was lauded by supervisors in some evaluations. She received praise for her knowledge of the 911 and was commended for perfect attendance in 2005. In one report, a supervisor calls her a "very good employee" who "works well with her fellow employees." But, her file also contains multiple reprimands.

She was suspended at least seven times for everything from fighting with co-workers to falling asleep while on duty. She would often complain that her supervisors were picking on her.

In April 2003 Conteh was suspended for falling asleep at her desk. She was so fast asleep that she fell out of her chair. As she fell, she scraped her ear on her desk.

She told supervisors that she was not asleep and was, in fact, leaning over to pick up some paper when she tumbled over. She filed a worker's compensation report for her injury.

As for the fights with other workers, she was ordered to attend anger management classes, the last one as recently as last year.

Conteh also was suspended for mishandling phone calls, with at least 6 mistakes from December 2006 to January of this year.

Twice supervisors tried to fire Conteh, and twice those attempts failed.

The first time was in April 2004, when Conteh fell asleep at her desk again. She appealed her firing and was reinstated, but was moved from a morning shift to the afternoons.

A second attempt to terminate her employment also failed.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
The recording did state the tower that the call came in on, which is a good 30-40 miles north of where she sent EMS.

Sad incident.

Yeah, but I've been billed internatinal roaming for using cell towers hundreds of miles away. I was nowhere in the area of the tower my calls were on.

I doubt that was the case here, but remember the call does not always have to be on the closest tower.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Unfortunately, in Fulton County/Atlanta, there are certain people that you cannot fire. I'm not being racist, it's just a fact.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Damn skippy

Unfortunately, in Fulton County/Atlanta, there are certain people that you cannot fire. I'm not being racist, it's just a fact.

That's the damn trouble everywhere.....not just Atlanta :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.