Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This frequency has got me stumped.

It doesn't matter where I'm at, be it at the train station in Blue Island or at North Avenue beach, it's always the same thing; nothing but an open carrier wave.

Doesn't seem to matter what time of day either, it's always there with nothing on it.

Anyone have any ideas as to its purpose (if it has one?)

SSSG

KC0QNB

well here are some possibilities
902 - 928 MHz United States Navy radars and other government operations - primary
Industrial, Scientific and Medical [Part 18]
Location and Monitoring Service ("LMS"). [Part 90 Subpart M
I might be a birdie also, internally generated within the scanner.
No one is assigned that frequency in the FCC data base in Illinois

Statevillian

Which scanner are you hearing it on?....

My 396 has a birdie on 155.250 (Bolingbrook PD) pl or no pl and it has that open carrier thing all the time. Glad I don't monitor 'Da Brook'.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Birdie?

Try parking your scanner on this frequency in manual mode and removing the antenna. If the signal is still there - no matter where you are - it is more likely than not a "birdie"......

KSJ745

Try parking your scanner on this frequency in manual mode and removing the antenna. If the signal is still there - no matter where you are - it is more likely than not a "birdie"......

Chirp chirp, tweet tweet? Hmmmm grrrrrrrr....My goodness it sounds like a birdie to me!

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/communications/scanner-6.htm

Chasing Birdies

Birdies are frequencies your scanner uses when it operates. These operating frequencies might interfere with broadcasts on the same frequencies. If you program one of these frequencies, you will hear only noise on that frequency. If the interference is not severe, you might be able to turn up the squelch to cut out the birdie. Eight of the most common birdie frequencies to watch for are listed below.

Birdie Frequencies
31.05 MHz 124.20 MHz
41.40 MHz 134.55 MHz
51.75 MHz 144.90 MHz
113.85 MHz 155.25 MHz

You can use the following procedure to check for birdies in your particular scanner.

1. Remove the antenna.
2. Turn the scanner on and set up a limit search for all bands on the scanner.
3. Be sure that the scanner is separated from possible signal sources such as a PC, other transceivers, etc.
4. Write down the frequencies where the scan stops or detects a continuous noise signal. These are the birdies.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Which scanner are you hearing it on?....

My 396 has a birdie on 155.250 (Bolingbrook PD) pl or no pl and it has that open carrier thing all the time. Glad I don't monitor 'Da Brook'.

I hear it on both the PRO-84 and the PRO-94, but not on the BCT8, so maybe it's a Radio Shack birdie.

Thanks to all who replied. I do appreciate the info.

SSSC

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.