'96 4Runner install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourner

New to the scanner world (since Jan '08) and I recently installed a new radio in my 1996 4Runner in order to make room for my BC-RH96 Remote Head - here are some pictures. Just retired from 20 service as a submariner, and I wanted to make my commute to the new job here in the NoVA area more bearable. It has helped me avoid a couple traffic jams already! Still a "less-than-elegant" solution - need to hardwire the power cable into the fuse block (I am looking for suggestions on that) and "hide" the remote cable going to my BCD396T. The hand unit gets stowed in the center console, and hooked to a window lip mounted antenna on the right rear passenger window. To listen, I have to route a cable from the console to the aux-in plug on the front of the radio. The other major "fix" is to route a permanent cable to the back side of the radio. Suggestions are welcome!
Don

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,079

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved to the photos forum. Please make note of the forum descriptions in the future. Thanks.

HarryWilly

Looks a lot like mine, except I went ahead and crammed the BCT-15 into the dash. Mine is the 2002 so I had a perfect spot to put an external Radio Shack mini cube speaker next to the ashtray, works better than having to loose the ability to listen to music so I can hear radio traffic. I too would like to see what you did for an antenna install. What is holding the remote head in place? I don't think I could put one in because when you remove the outer shell of the BCT-15 the lip on the face has just enough clearance to slide under my Alpine radio.

af5rn

What are you using for an antenna on the main radio?

Please don't tell me you're afraid of drilling a hole in a twelve year old Toyota. :lol:

Sojourner

Thanks for the nice comments! I'll try and get some pictures of the antenna this weekend and post them. It is a MFJ window mount (MFJ-310S) with a Maldol tri-band amateur radio antenna (MH-610
Triband 2M/220/70cm HT Antenna Extended receive range: 118-160MHz, 250-290MHz,
360-390MHz, 420-470MHz, 820-960MHz). It also serves as the set-up for my Yaesu VX-7R (Amateur Extra KI4NOG). Remote head is held by the double DIN mount - basically friction from the sides. The holes for the head were just enough out of alignment with the bracket's pre-set holes that all I would've gained by drilling new ones was elongating ones already there. But tightening down the bracket to the Pioneer radio above pins it in tight.
The antenna for the main radio is still the stock automatic antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.