98 Jeep Cherokee Sport - PSR500 or any mobile radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So I bought this "new" jeep for myself about a week ago! and It was a big challange to mount things. As most jeep owners fully understand there is not alot of console or dash room! (Especialy a 5-speed). So here is my solution! (It only works for portables) but all I did was make a zip strap loop on my left hand vent and slotted the belt clip into it. Works like a dream!

I also mounted various other equipment on the vents. I use lots of mobile stuff for security reasons its nice to be able to take it out of the truck when im not there.

Here are some pictures.

Note: I wired everything under the center console plastic to a 3 port cig adapter. The scanner can also run off that. I also have a 300W inverter under the seat if I need to charge something.

I have an external antenna and a 800mhz mobile antenna as well just happened to have my stubby on at the time. + have not mounted the car antenna yet, still trying to figure a good glass mount area.

Enjoy.

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

KC0QNB

What? no outside antennas mounted in holes?
If I were into stuffing a lot of portable gear into a jeep, this might work ok, but the ac won't be very efficient, no flow dude. Looks good!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have a motorola spectra Remote head A5 and astro saber vehicle adapter and a remote siren/flasher control head in my 2001 cherokee. Then again I do public safetyt installs as a side job

af5rn

Nice, imaginative improvisation! I like that! But it's time for a reality check...

+ have not mounted the car antenna yet, still trying to figure a good glass mount area.
Dude, it's a ten year old car worth no more than $1500 dollars. It's not a baby anymore. Time to man-up and drill that hole. ;)

RodStrong

Nice job, punk (I listen to Fungus too). I wonder how the PSR works with that stub antenna though.

I have a 96 Cherokee, and boy do I know the challenges.

SCPD

QRT
Nice job, punk (I listen to Fungus too). I wonder how the PSR works with that stub antenna though.

I have a 96 Cherokee, and boy do I know the challenges.

Believe it or not, in some areas of Calgary the digital system is so strong I can take the antenna off and still hear it. Stubby works fine for the police/ems/fire, but I usually use a 800mhz antenna.

SCPD

QRT
Nice, imaginative improvisation! I like that! But it's time for a reality check...

Dude, it's a ten year old car worth no more than $1500 dollars. It's not a baby anymore. Time to man-up and drill that hole. ;)

No one said i'm afraid to drill a hole, I just have a glass mount antenna that is sitting in my shed. I know it works because it was on my last car.

Last edited:

af5rn

Ah! Do you have the whole thing? I've never heard anyone actually move the whole thing from one car to another. I'm interested in hearing how it works for you. Is it epoxy or tape mounted?

robsterw

Nice setup you got there Mister Toad!
I especially like the zip tie solution... very Macgyver like ;-)
btw: What kind of stubby antenna is that on your psr-500? I was thinking about getting one for myself.....

James04TJ

I have been working with Jeeps for years. I have a 2004 TJ, 1994 XJ, and 1977 CJ7. The console and dash of my 04 TJ are exactly the same as your XJ. There is plenty of room to mount stuff if you think outside of the box. I had a CB, 144/440 Kenwood, and VHF SPECTRA, and old mobile scanner mounted in my TJ. The CB was mounted to the side of the center console on the passanger side next to the shifter as was the scanner. The control heads for the Kenwood dual bander and SPECTRA were mounted on the dash just behind the clutter tray. They were actually mounted to the dash bar of a custom roll cage but they could also mount right down to the dash. The probelm was finding room for the antennas on the TJ. This is easy on the XJ.

I can't seem to find a picture that shows the dash with the dual bander and spectra installed but this will give you an idea of what you can fit on the side of the console. I used an aftermarket console but it has the same form factor as the stock. Sometimes you just need to get creative.
http://www.netexportal.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=39
http://www.netexportal.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=16

Status
Not open for further replies.