996 bleed over

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC801

My 996 is almost so bad now i dont even turn it on, for what ever reason ch's bleed over on my 996. Like liberty dis is 154.8 and any thing with in 153 to 155 it will bleed over on, this happens to about every ch i have. It even does it with ctcss or dcs set. im about ready to through it out the window. anyone have this prob or know why it happens. thanks

northzone

Premium Subscriber
I found the selectivity on the 996 to be so bad that I returned it. On VHF I was getting adjacent channels everywhere. I also have a 780 and a pro-96 and they are by far better receivers. The 996 has a lot of nice features but I want a radio that works, especially in this price range.

BigC801

lol thanks guys, i guess i will contact them, I even have the SQ. turned almost all the way up and it still does it, It will also pick up the ctcss of other ch's that are far away from the ch it stopped on. It only started with in the last 2 weeks getting worse. sorry if this kinda rambles, been a long day, and thanks for the input.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
wbigcount said:
lol thanks guys, i guess i will contact them, I even have the SQ. turned almost all the way up and it still does it, It will also pick up the ctcss of other ch's that are far away from the ch it stopped on. It only started with in the last 2 weeks getting worse. sorry if this kinda rambles, been a long day, and thanks for the input.

Could you attach an audio file of this? I'd like to hear what your finding. Did you use the attenuator at all?

Last edited:

BigC801

I have a file just need to know how to attach it. I dont use the attenuator cause then i wont be able to hear the traffic i want on that ch. The file i have is of 154.800 comming up on 155.700

MysticalOS

have you tried using CTCSS/DCS search and putting in right tones? You may just live REAL close to the towers. I live real close to local PD and fire dispatches, so unless all of my freqs i nthe 153-155 range have tones in them, i will hear local fire and ems on all adjacet frequencies on my 396T. But that's expected when i can hit the broadcasting site with my spit. ;) Use the PL and DPL (CTCSS/DCS) tones. That's what that feature is for.

BigC801

I did that, and it still comes in, with the ctcss set for that ch, or the ch thats bleeding over ctcss locked out.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
As the other poster mentioned, are you living next door to a radio tower or transmitter?

Does this problem happen anywhere else? (If you go mobile to another part of town, etc.)

If you're really unsatisfied, you might be able to return it if you're within 30 days (or 60 from CEI aka usascan.com). Especially if it's a defective unit.

More details please, more details please... :roll:

BigC801

I got this scanner about a week after it came out. The prob im having just started to get worse about 2 weeks ago. My other scanners dont have any probs like this, even the 796, 396 with the same kind of ant hooked up, Im sure you all are right about the overload. I guess i will try it mobile and see. Only prob with that is if i go mobile is it will be to tempting to accidentally sit it under the front tire.

John_M

wbigcount Wrote:

I got this scanner about a week after it came out. The prob im having just started to get worse about 2 weeks ago. My other scanners dont have any probs like this, even the 796, 396 with the same kind of ant hooked up, Im sure you all are right about the overload. I guess i will try it mobile and see. Only prob with that is if i go mobile is it will be to tempting to accidentally sit it under the front tire.

You may want to try a stubby antenna. If that doesn't work you may have a defective unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.