996 Discriminator Tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Has anyone done the tap and been successful yet? I've seen pics of where the tap is on the circut board, but haven't heard of anyone actually doing it. I'm hoping it's the same steps/parts as the 780/796 mods.

Bill

N9JIG

Sheriff
kma371 said:
Has anyone done the tap and been successful yet? I've seen pics of where the tap is on the circut board, but haven't heard of anyone actually doing it. I'm hoping it's the same steps/parts as the 780/796 mods.

Bill

Yes, it works fine for Trunker and PL/DPL decoding at least.

The pics of the tap point are at http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39954.

I suggest an RCA jack on the back panel of the radio and a small tantalum capacitor between the center pin and tap point.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rich I would encourage you to upload your pic to the Wiki, and add links to the Discriminator Output and 996 Wiki pages; given how popular this scanner is, it's a question that is sure to come up again.

73s and thanx..Mike

D

DaveNF2G

Re the tantalum cap - polarized or not? If polarized, what orientation in the circuit?

N9JIG

Sheriff
DaveNF2G said:
Re the tantalum cap - polarized or not? If polarized, what orientation in the circuit?
Non-polarized. I have read someplace that polarized caps cause more problems than the solve.

To tell the truth, I have not always used caps in all my radios and have never noticed any difference. I think it is mostly a safety valve to avoid damage in case of a short when you are connecting or disconnecting cables to the discriminator tap.

N9JIG

Sheriff
ka3jjz said:
Rich I would encourage you to upload your pic to the Wiki, and add links to the Discriminator Output and 996 Wiki pages; given how popular this scanner is, it's a question that is sure to come up again.

73s and thanx..Mike
I will, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.