996 GPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The Uniden software to program the BCD-996T allows for a radius setting of .5, 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 miles. Any chance if I edit the text file and put other numbers in there, it'd work? I don't have an easy way to test it myself.

I'd really like to see a 2 mile setting, as well as a 100 and 150 mile setting.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Kirk said:
Any chance if I edit the text file and put other numbers in there, it'd work? I don't have an easy way to test it myself.

Nope.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
DaveIN said:
What would 100 and 150 mile setting do for you?

There are a few things that would be easier just to lump into big ranges. Best example is CalTrans (California Department of Transportation) regions, which typically cover 4-8 counties per region.

Thanks, WM8S, for the test. It was worth a shot.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Kirk said:
There are a few things that would be easier just to lump into big ranges. Best example is CalTrans (California Department of Transportation) regions, which typically cover 4-8 counties per region.

So your saying you could hear frequencies from 100-150 miles away?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
DaveIN said:
So your saying you could hear frequencies from 100-150 miles away?

No, I'm saying that rather than create ten systems for ten frequencies on ten hilltops throughout a district, I'd rather just scan all ten when in the district. It's less work than looking up the lat-lon for each repeater, plugging them into Topo to determine approximate repeater coverage (regular maps don't help much in this terrain), and going that route.

District boundaries are much easier to determine than repeater coverage, especially when it's an area that you don't live in and monitor daily.

Additionally, agencies like the California Highway Patrol will use a single frequency over a wide area from multiple hilltops (simulcast), so putting in a region makes more sense.

If I could have the multiple site feature for conventional systems, that'd be a help, but alas, it's only for trunking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.