996 Need USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

Finally getting around to transferring my ARC996 files from my old computer to my Dell Inspiron 530.

Darn thing does not have a 9-pin D-shell serial port for my 996 programming cable.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a USB version of the 996 cable?

Thanks!!

Julian1

Usb 996

Thanks for your suggestion.

I guess the thing for me to do is check with Butel folks to see if that device's performance will be compatible with their software...as to data transfer rate, etc.

I am clueless when it comes to that stuff. I just remember hearing that some brands or models of USB work where others won't depending on amount and speed of data transfer.

Thanks again and Happy Scanning!
Julian

Airdorn

All serial-USB converters are completely transparent in operation to your Windows apps, including whatever scanner software you have. That's because, once you plug-in the adapter to the USB port, Windows detects it, you install the drivers the first time, and then it just becomes a COM: port. like any other COM: port.

And all apps that require a COM (serial) port require is a working COM port present.. it doesn't matter if it's a motherboard-mounted type, or one from a Digiboard, or a COM port on a PCI card, or a plug-in USB-serial type. There's no "checking to see if it's compatible" with certain apps.

I use one from Trip-Lite, but they are a dime a dozen froma variety of manufacturers and pretty fool-proof. You can get them all day long on Ebay for maybe $10.

I'm mainly referring to Windows XP here, but should apply to Windows 2000 as well. I'd say most have drivers for Windows 95/98 too. Vista? no idea about that. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Vista.

Good luck

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Julian1 said:
Thanks for your suggestion.

I guess the thing for me to do is check with Butel folks to see if that device's performance will be compatible with their software...as to data transfer rate, etc.

I am clueless when it comes to that stuff. I just remember hearing that some brands or models of USB work where others won't depending on amount and speed of data transfer.

Thanks again and Happy Scanning!
Julian
It will work fine with the Butel software(it doesn't care) and the 996. I am using it myself. It works with Vista and XP.
Dave

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.