• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

996 Question on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKMEDIC

Am wanting to install a 996 in my 2004 F-150 and am wondering if I can replace the OE Double Din Stereo with a single din stereo and the 996 with din sleeve? Sounds like it would work, but what would I do first. Do I take everything to the stereo intall place or do it myself? is the dash kit the stereo place put in going to allow me to do this? Thanks for any imput.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I tried installing my 996 in my 2001 Crown Vic using the double stack way of the ISO technique. There was something in the way so it would not accommodate the regular stereo and scanner.

My son has a Ford F-150, but I don't know which year. He said he could fit both radios in his. I think he may have been trying to talk me out of a radio, though he was unsuccessful.

Whether you take it somewhere to have done, or do it yourself is largely up to your abilities and whether you are confident enough to do it yourself.

If you do it yourself, there are some vehicle specific brackets that you would need for the ISO technique. You can get them on line or a place like Circuit City. The cost is around $25 or so.

You have to do the ISO technique if you want to stack the scanner and regular radio together. The DIN technique only appears to be usable if you don't already have a radio in your vehicle, but I could be wrong.

jparks29

John McClane
ofd8001 said:
I tried installing my 996 in my 2001 Crown Vic using the double stack way of the ISO technique. There was something in the way so it would not accommodate the regular stereo and scanner..

before '03 there was a din and a half opening, but only a single din radio could fit... the reason?? to the rear is the ventilation duct..... it was redesigned in '03 to fit a full sized radio....

swing by www.crownvic.net .. lot of neat stuff you can learn about your car.......

sbull

Shouldn't be a problem. Under the stock radio is a clearance for a satellite tuner. There is also plenty of room behind the HU. I've seen multiple in-dash home-brew computers put in there and Metro makes a dual Din socket for them. Your only problem is facing the radio and hu. Getting them (trim collars) to line up could be a chore. I have a 2006 f150 I've been contemplating doing the same thing. If you do it, let me know how it goes with pics! Steve
Check out
f150online.com/forums

OKMEDIC

Ok, So does uniden make a face cover for either one? I havent seen one if they do. Or does it look ok without? Would it make any diff. if I put it on the top or bottom?

sbull

99-5807 Metra is the brand. It covers all new body Fords. With this kit you can do double-din, single din, or double single din. It should have what you need. Your aftermarket stereo will come with a trim piece and your 996t should have one with the sleeve kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.