996 rear serial port question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Is the ground pin on the DE-9 on the rear of the BCD-996T connected to the power supply negative lead?

You can only ask "why?" if you can provide the answer, that way, I don't have to humiliate myself unnecessarily.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I would say no, but to be sure check it with an ohm meter. Measure from the negative post to the ring of the DB-9.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
DaveIN said:
I would say no, but to be sure check it with an ohm meter. Measure from the negative post to the ring of the DB-9.

Lots of people read my message, but you're the only response. Thanks for being courageous. :)

I was hoping some other kind soul would put an ohm meter between the negative lead on the scanner and the ground pin on the DE-9 (commonly called DB-9) and let me know the result.

My issue is thus:

My 996 is installed in my dash. When it was installed, I ran a piece of Cat-5 cable from the dash to the rear of the vehicle where the GPS will be installed. I soldered the pins and made a DE-9 connector, and plugged it in.

Fast forward a month or two, and I'm ready to do the GPS part in the back of the vehicle. And I go looking for the piece of paper which has the wiring diagram for the DE-9. It's gone.

So my options are:

1. Tear apart the dash, pull out the scanner, open up the DE-9, and go "Oh yeah, I remember now."
2. Try every combination of wires (there are 8) until the GPS starts working.
3. Find the ground with an ohm meter, then connect that to the GPS, connect a jumper wire from the GPS tx pin and start touching it to the other remaining 7 wires until the scanner goes into GPS mode.

Option 3 is certainly a lot less work than options 1 & 2. Of course option 4 is "put the piece of paper in a safe place" but my time machine is broken and I don't know how to fix it.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Kirk said:
Of course option 4 is "put the piece of paper in a safe place" but my time machine is broken and I don't know how to fix it.

did you mean you misplaced the repair manual for the time machine as well? just kidding. :wink: wished I could help.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Woohoo! Green is ground! (to answer my own question, yes, as suspected, it is grounded)

Status
Not open for further replies.