996 red vs. green display

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Here are a couple of shots of the '996 with the display switched from red (actually more orange) to green.

The first photo I took was with the flash on (neither of these pictures), and the flash blanked the LED display! I had to turn the radio off and back on again to restore it. What's up with that?

Attachments

• 996Red.jpg
    996Red.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2,145
  • 996Green.jpg
    996Green.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 2,159

safetyobc

I thought I would like the red better, but looking at those pics, I really like the green!

I can't wait for the BCT15 to be released.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
safetyobc said:
I thought I would like the red better, but looking at those pics, I really like the green!

I thought the same thing and agree that the green looks much better.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
JHaislet said:
Yep, green gets my vote too.
Nice scanners BTW, wish I could afford TWO 396T's AND a 996T! Geez! :D

Well, I didn't buy them all at once, and I do have a few other radios not shown here.

I've been scanning for over 30 years, plenty of time to accumulate a lot of scanners and ham HT's, but I no longer have every radio I've ever owned, I sell some off as new ones come out.

I too like the green display better, but the photos seem to come out a little blurry when the red display is selected. The pics don't do either color justice.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
rckydenver said:
Hey W4KRR, Like your pics!! Just curious what kind of antenna are you using on the BCD996? And how well does it work? Thanks

It's the GRE 800 MHz antenna, available here. Performance is similar to the famous Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck scanner antenna. And it's only $13.99! It has a 90 degree swivel BNC base so it can be used on hand helds as well as base scanners without the use of a right angle adapter.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
W4KRR said:
It's the GRE 800 MHz antenna, available here. Performance is similar to the famous Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck scanner antenna. And it's only $13.99! It has a 90 degree swivel BNC base so it can be used on hand helds as well as base scanners without the use of a right angle adapter.

I have the same antenna that I use on my digital radios. I find it to be a tad better then the RS antenna.

STiMULi

Red is better in the dark. Easier on the eyes.

In the direct sunlight niether make any difference.

In room light the green is brighter and easier to see.

So I vote Red in the car and Green in the house :)

RESCUE4NFD

Red/Green

Well my old Bearcats that have just channel #'s are RED,then the BC's 248's have the Freq.'s in GREEN,and my BC 895's have the AMBER/ORANGE tint,also the BC780's,and now RED/GREEN,Whats Next?...............PINK,Baby S....Brown,I guess I'm not a RAINBOW kind of guy,just OLD !I have to go now my NURSE says it's MEDICATION TIME................

Status
Not open for further replies.