Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

The book says:

The BCD996T scans a system for the duration you set using the System Hold
Time option (see “Setting the System Hold Time” on Page 70). For trunked
systems, the scanner moves to the next system after the hold time expires, the
current transmission ends, and the channel delay expires. Conventional
systems operate similarly, but all unlocked channels are scanned at least one
time regardless of the hold time setting.

Does this mean that Hold is a useless feature on conventional?

AZ EMS communications consists of 2 repeated frequencies. One from the Ambulance to the Hospital and the other way around.

In order for me to hear both sides of the conversation I need to have the "input" and the "output" programmed with NO delay.

I had hoped they way the progarmming goes that HOLD would keep scanning in the system until a clean pass was made after X seconds of scanning.

This does not seem to be the case.

Am I missing someting or is the "Hold" feature not a "Hold" feature after all for conventional channels?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the HOLD time it set to 0, then it will scan every unlocked channel in the system 1 time, then move on. If it is set to 1 or more seconds, then it will scan every unlocked channel in the system. If, when it gets to the last channel, the set duration has elapsed since it started scanning the system, it will move on to the next system. It is not a "hang hold" function, but rather a way to force the scanner to scan a particular system for at least a fixed amount of time.

If you want to temporarily hold on a system, you must manually do so by pressing FUNC (press and hold for 2 seconds to latch).

STiMULi

Does this means that at the time the scanner enters that system the timer starts the countdown whether or not it detects an active frequency?

So I have it set for 4 seconds and the delay for none.

It will stay in the system for 4 seconds and the continue on to the next system if there is no activity.

If activity occurs then the counter continues to count down and then after the activity is over and the timer has expired it continues to the next system.

Is this right?

K0ATC

Yeah I think thats how it works, hold is how long it will scan a system, conventional or trunked before it moves on to the next, and delay is how long it holds on a frequency after the transmittion has stopped. So you would want say a 5 second hold, with 0 delay on the system you are speaking of. Sound right? LOL

STiMULi

You would think that the counter would reset each time a freq in that system became active and not expire whether or not the freq was active.

If this is the way it is I would call it an error in programming.

The "right" way is to allow the counter to start counting 5 4 hit 5 4 3 2 hit 5 4 3 hit 5 4 3 2 1 0 change system

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is the intentional design to do as you described two posts up. Having quasi-duplex conversations on two channels the way your agency is doing it is rare and not anticipated in the scanner's design.

If it worked as you describe, then the scanner might never, ever leave a busy system.

STiMULi

UPMan said:
If it worked as you describe, then the scanner might never, ever leave a busy system.

(BTW Paul, thanks for your help)

But that would be the point.

I can do a temp lockout or change the hold time or choose not use the hold timer at all.

(I know... or press the "Func" for 2 seconds too :))

IMO this should be added to the firmware wish list.

RISC777

Latch

UPMan said:
If you want to temporarily hold on a system, you must manually do so by pressing FUNC (press and hold for 2 seconds to latch).

The latching would be really, really nice to have on the 396 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.