996 vs 796

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjlamb

besides cosmedics, what is the real differnces? are firmware updates the same for both?

Apples and oranges.... The BC796D is a very nice radio (perhaps even great for its' time). The 996XT is a significant improvement on many, many levels. It is very difficult to make a fair comparison between two units that began production approx. (7) years apart.

The 996XT is the current "State-of-the-Art". The BC79D was also... once upon a time but, its' time has now passed. Read up on the difference between conventional memory allocation (BC796D) and Dynamic Memory Allocation (BCD996XT/BCD996T). That difference alone puts the XT series light years ahead of the BC796D in terms of technology and programming flexibility.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
796 - 1000 channels
996 - 6000 channels
996xt - 25000 channels

That gives you an idea of the advancement. No the firmware is different for each unit.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Hard to believe there is 7 years of technology between the two. Bells and whistles wise yeah there is a big difference but the P25 audio quality from both is about the same.

sjlamb

Hard to believe there is 7 years of technology between the two. Bells and whistles wise yeah there is a big difference but the P25 audio quality from both is about the same.

BC796D was first introduced in 2003. I own both and, at least at my location, find that the BCD996XT auto P25 decode and audio is vastly better than the BC796D.

I would hardly refer to the 25,000 Channel Dynamic Memory Allocation in the XT as "bells and whistles". It is that advance in technology alone that makes the BC796D pretty much a relic in many locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.