996 with Internal GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello.

I had an idea the other day, and I am thinking of implimenting this idea, and thought I woud ask on here if anyone else has attempted this idea before I get around to starting this little project.
I had the idea of adding a GPS module inside the 996 so you did not have to worry about feeding a serial cable through the bowls of your vehicle to get the GPS feature to work. I don't think it woud be that hard, though I might be wrong.
There is a number of small GPS OEM boards which you can buy, which output MNEA at 4800 baud rate. All you need for them is power and an antenna. So I thought maybe one of these could be mounted inside the 996, with an antenna connector on the rear, and a power switch. It could be wired inside for power and connection to the 996's rear serial port.
There may be more to this project then I am aware of at this stage, but to me it seems a good idea. Anyone else thought of, or considered adding a GPS inside the 996? Has anyone done it even?
Maybe UPman could consider this in future Uniden mobile models. Maybe an add on GPS card that slots into the rear. I think many 996 owners don't use this feature because of the hassle of obtaining a suitable GPS for the scanner and going through hooking it up. Would be much easier to simply hook up a GPS antenna to the rear thats fore sure. Ever tried running a serial cable through the dash of your car? Its a hassle let me tell you. Maybe Uniden could add a GPS in the future, and even supply an antenna for it. I know this woudl cost a bit more, so maybe it could be an option. What do you think??

Dubbin

Feed Provider
It would be just as easy to just use a Garmin GPS 18. Either way it goes you will have to run an antenna and a power cable.

KC0QNB

It would be just as easy to just use a Garmin GPS 18. Either way it goes you will have to run an antenna and a power cable.
Agreed, would it work without a computer?
But the 18 OEM price is good enough that I would give it a try with my IC-2200H that has the capability.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From all reports I've heard, the Garmin 18 works quite well.

The metal case of the scanner (as well as any blocking metal in your vehicle) would, as noted, require you to run an external antenna...and if you have to do that you might as well just use an external module that includes the full GPS.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I had the idea of adding a GPS module inside the 996 so you did not have to worry about feeding a serial cable through the bowls of your vehicle to get the GPS feature to work... There is a number of small GPS OEM boards which you can buy, which output MNEA at 4800 baud rate. All you need for them is power and an antenna. So I thought maybe one of these could be mounted inside the 996, with an antenna connector on the rear, and a power switch.
Given that a GPS receiver is going to require a clear view of the sky in order, you are still going to have to remote mount the antenna.

So, what's the difference between running the serial cable between a GPS receiver and the scanner as opposed to running an antenna cable between a GPS antenna and an internally-mounted GPS receiver in the scanner?

FlashP

GPS connection

The pain of the Garmin 18 and similar is that they don't run on 12 V; the power adapter is bigger than the GPS itself. If the scanner could supply compatible power directly to the GPS, then ...

Flash

slicerwizard

The Garmin GPS 18 PC will run off the same 12V supply that the 996 does.

The GPS 18 LVC runs off 5V, which a simple 7805 regulator can provide.
A 7805 is neither large or expensive.

I'm not seeing where the problem is.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Mobile, the Garmin GPS 18 serial works well on both my BCD996T and BCT15. I just use the 12 volt supply from the cigar lighter in the car for the radio, GPS, and BC-RH96 remote head. Nothing else needed except a splitter for the 12 volt supply (at Radio Shack) if you don't have multiple outlets.

SCPD

QRT
Thats great guys, but you all totally missed the point of the post. I did not ask what GPS units we all run on our 996 scanners. I too have a GPS mouse style unit I run. I did not ask what was easier. I am asking if this project would be a great idea and more convenient in the long run.
For those who dont or cant see the point, here is the advantages I think of installing an internal unit.

1. Powered by the scanner. No need to worry about using up cigarette lighter sockets or wiring it elsewhere.
2. Whole unit is always in the scanner, so no need to carry extra devices (other then a smaller antenna).
3. No need to try and run a bulky serial socket through the car, which I found to be a pain in the butt, as many places I wanted to hid the cabel I couldn't because the bulky serial conector would not fit through. It would be much easier to push a small SMA or other connected commonly used on GPS antennas through smaller gaps in and around the cars dash.
4. Also when dash mounting in many cars, you have limited room at the rear of where you run the scanner, again the buly serial cable plus sticks a long way out of hte back of the scanner when conencted, compared to antena sockets and power plugs.

In the end its probably about convenience and the fact that serial plugs on serial cables ( and the thickness of a serial cable ) are a pain to run in cars. I know I have one which I would like to conceal better, but can't due to the huge size of the cable and plugs. They sure do not allow for a real neat installation in my car.

The idea was to get ideas and see if anyone has ever thought about doing this, as I don't think it would be that hard to do. The whole GPS unit could be concealed insode the case of the 996, with only an extra small antenna connector on the back for your GPS antenna.
It would be cheaper too, as small GPS boards and an antenna for it cost much less then a dedicated GPS unit like the Garmin GPS 18..

KC0QNB

Then I suggest you do this get one of these,
or one of these

and go for it let us know what happens, not priced to bad either you can click the manuals link (to the right) on either unit and get a tech spec. Then you can get a gps+mobile antenna combo to make it all work. look here

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Thats great guys, but you all totally missed the point of the post.
Welcome to the Internet. :)

I am asking if this project would be a great idea and more convenient in the long run.
I think you can answer that question yourself.