996P2/325P2/HP2 on NJICS and Somerset Cty Trunk Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ion_op

Hi,

I have a Pro-106 and would like to upgrade to a Phase 2 scanner. How does the 996P2 perform on NJICS and Somerset Cty Trunk systems? Does it handle Simulcast distortion any better than my 106? How do the 325P2/HP2 perform?

What do you think of using the HP2 as a portable scanner with say a base with case on belt?

Tnx,

Mike

Last edited:

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Our 996P2 suffers from simulcast distortion on the West Orange simulcast on NJICS. Get an SDS 200 if possible.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I have a Pro-106 and would like to upgrade to a Phase 2 scanner. How does the 996P2 perform on NJICS and Somerset Cty Trunk systems? Does it handle Simulcast distortion any better than my 106? How do the 325P2/HP2 perform?

What do you think of using the HP2 as a portable scanner with say a base with case on belt?

Tnx,

Mike
I have, and still use, my HP-2 scanner. While I like the large, clear, display, it is not the best choice for a simulcast system. Both the Uhf, as well as the 700MHz sites for your county's system are simulcast.
Map for the actual tower sites for the UHF simulcast can be found here:
The 700MHz site map can be viewed here:

If I'm reading the details correctly, the NJICS sites in your county do not appear to be simulcast. But your local system definitely is.

Simulcast is extremely dependent on location. If you are in the right spot, really close (1/4 mile or less) of one of the towers, the strong signal may override the out of synch transmissions from other locations. Or if you are in a location where terrain, tall buildings, or something else limit the scanner's signal path to one location, you might not have an issue. Sometimes a move of only a few feet, within your house, can make a significant difference.

The HP-2 might be slightly better than your Pro-106, but in most case, not significantly. The 996P2 and 325P2 are better than the HP-2, but not a solution if the simulcast distortion is very strong. The 436HP/536HP are, again, better than the P2 series, but not if you are in the wrong spot. The best solution, unfortunately, is also the most expensive, either one of the SDS series Uniden scanners, or one of the Unication pagers.

Hopefully, you can get additional comments from members closer to your location on what does, or does not, work for them.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I tried 2 different scanners (not the SDS) for Somerset and Middlesex county and they both performed terribly, neither could even reliably hold the CC and even when they did most transmissions were garbled not worth the over $400 I dropped on them, returned both and purchased a G5, have had no issues even a low signal locking on to CC and no garbling unless signal at or below 1 bar

Status
Not open for further replies.