996P2 antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas1263

Premium Subscriber
I use a BCD996P2 scanner, and listen to the 150.XXX, 450.XXX bands and the AEP Electric bands which are ditigal. I would like to get the U.S. Big Sandy Penitentary, which is digital also. But I can not. I tried a discone antenna in my attic with no noticable difference in reception, Would a yagi or a Maxx Tena work any better. My area is mountainous and of course I'm located in the middle of it in eastern Kentucky. I live in Johnson County and would like to get Floyd, Mcgoffin and other sounding counties if possible.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
If it can be done meaning topographic conditions a yagi should help. You did say mountainous so that might make it difficult. If money is no object a yagi on top of a tower might be necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A Yagi is a directional antenna. It is generally used when you want to receive signals in a specific direction. It might improve in-coming signals from the East, but to the detriment of receiving North, South and West signals.

Topography is your worst enemy, particularly in that area. The higher you can go, with a lowest-loss cable possible may be helpful.

According to the RR database, Big Sandy has a reported range of 7 miles. It makes sense - why cover an area much larger than the prison, etc. so a low power system is probably used. So you might be close enough (again owing to hills).

Status
Not open for further replies.