996p2 or 325p2: Which is better for SAFE-T P25 LSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

Which radio, the 996p2 or 325p2 handle the p25 type 1 lsm better? Safe-t
Future p25 tdma type 2 safe-t lsm??

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 are essentially the same architecture, I don't know that either one would be better or worse than the other.

While I haven't looked, I'm sure there are discussions of how these scanners handle P25 LSM in the Uniden forums. The general consensus, I believe, is that the BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners are the best among the Uniden scanners when it comes to P25 LSM.

BTW, posting a question about one type of scanner in a thread discussing a different type of scanner is known as hijacking. Your post was moved to a different thread so as to avoid hijacking the first thread.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
BTW, posting a question about one type of scanner in a thread discussing a different type of scanner is known as hijacking. Your post was moved to a different thread so as to avoid hijacking the first thread.

VERY NICE that you EXPLAINED to the op about "thread hijacking" and did not IMMEDIATELY resort to putting a warning on his account. that happened to me when i was new on these forums. did not even know what thread hijacking was back then and BAM, warning on my account by an overzealous admin. thanks for handling this a better way, yet still getting the point across while not creating a negative experience for the user. )) I bet many more will learn from reading your reply explaining thread hijacking than would of by placing a warning on the op's account.

i think the larger issue here is whether you want a base or handheld and to do p2 (otherwise, without p2 there are other options, as you prob are aware). i have the 996p2 and went with a 436hp for my handheld p2 option. i have two of the 396xt's which i really like, but they are not p2 as you probably are aware. great little handhelds otherwise. the 325p2 does seem like a great little handheld though and i have wanted one also.

vocoder

Yes, many thanks. I would not intentionally hijack a thread. It was one those situations where I was deciding the best thread/forum to post and chose the wrong thread too quickly.

Back to the subject at hand. I am a member of an emergency services volunteer group and the Civil Air Patrol and wanted to know what users were experiencing with handhelds and desktop models. I do have a 396xt, but it does not handle p25 LSM simulcast very well. Also, trying to prepare for the future of Safe-T TDMA simulcast that I hear is also a "bear" to monitor. Which model is preferred for a handheld and desktop model?

DJ11DLN

I don't own an X36hp but I know some folks who do. They are excellent scanners. My area doesn't have any LSM so I'm not sure how well they do coping with that, but if you live in an area with a lot of it, I would look at the Unication G4/G5 series...they are getting rave reviews for their handling of LSM. Pricey but evidently you get what you pay for. They only decode p.1 so far but p.2 decode is promised as a future paid upgrade.

bigcam406

Your choices are valid. Ive been interested in purhasing either the 325 or the 996p2 myself. The only way to find out is to purchase one and try it out in your area. Different areas have different results related to the LSM issue. And report back your findings here. Lots of good people here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.