BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996P2 Speaker Sound

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a 996P2. I am an owner of a 996XT. Love both scanners except....

The speaker. Not it's location under the scanner. Not the volume. But the sound quality. When I got my XT I realized that there must be a hidden cover keeping the sound from coming out. There wasn't. But I did rig up a small extension speaker that actually sounds good. Took some doing because any decent extension speaker would just produce the same muffled sound. So the speaker I have is a bit cheaper and has a more treble sound.

Now that I have the P2 I was surprised the sound could actually be worse. It actually sounds as if there is a pillow taped over the speaker grill preventing sound from coming out.

I would guess this has something to do with the circuitry inside and not the speaker itself. I have about ten scanners from Uniden and they all sound fine/normal.

Is this a real issue or am I just 'hearing' things. Sorry.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use a old Realistic extension speaker on one of my 996p2 and a old Motorola on another and they sound great,...I have also attached the mobile mount to the bottom of both scanners that comes with the radios sitting on a desk and even that sounds good with the built in speaker reverberating off the desk elevated ....