996P2 vs 536HP re display brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have had 996P2 for few days and been comparing to my 536HP x 3. 996P2 is solid performer, like its older cousin the 996XT, but in terms of flexible features, it is not a 536HP. More comparisons to come.
However, with regard to display brightness, the 996P2 and my 996XT are much brighter than the display on two of 3 of my 536HPs. Like others, I have noticed that the display on the 536HPs (two of my older ones) has dimmed a fair amount.
My question: Has anyone sent in their 536HPs for the dim-display problem and gotten back their unit with a brighter display? If so, I will be sending two of my 536HPs in for a display update (one of these also needs a new clock battery as well). Any comments are welcome
Steve AA6IO

Voyager

In fairness, it is easier to backlight a smaller display than one twice the size. Not saying there isn't a potential issue with the 536, but it's not a 1:1 comparison.

fenderblue

I did send one of my 536's in for repair of dimness. It was always on my desk and the other one is in my vehicle which has no problem and they are both have the same brightness now. Was fixed by warranty.

fenderblue

Displayed 5 part numbers and replaced the display lens Also says--modifications for the bcd536hp headphone related issue added. I don't know what the part numbers are.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
In fairness, it is easier to backlight a smaller display than one twice the size. Not saying there isn't a potential issue with the 536, but it's not a 1:1 comparison.

Why is it easier ? It's SMD LED's - I don't think it was that difficult for Uniden to add a few more LED's to the design. Twice the size use twice as many LED's .

ScannerFreaque

LiScanner101 Duplicate Account
Banned

The issue is not the difficulty in illuminating a large screen. The issue being discussed is a gradual degradation of the screen brightness, as if components are prematurely aging.

Voyager

The two are related. To answer both of the above posts...

It's easier since you need a certain amount of light across the back of the display. It's easier to install LEDs that light 1/2" over 1" since they need to be twice as bright (roughly) but can't transpose into brighter edges. Think of it like using a flashlight. You need one that shines twice as far, so you can't use the same parts.

And yes, I know the issue is a degrading brightness, but with the higher light output comes the chance for the component degradation to be more noticeable. A resistor that carries twice the current has more of a chance of degradation over one that is carrying half the current.

Perhaps the same resistor was used, and it's breaking down while it didn't when the current was less, or perhaps the brighter LEDs are breaking down due to the increased current (or voltage - depending on which way they went in the design). It could be the regulator for the same reason as the resistor.

If you want an idea of how bright we are talking, look to the edge of the display and you will see 'bright spots' where the LEDs are located. A diffuser is used to equalize the light across the back of the display. But, if the same LEDs were used in both units, the middle of the display would have a dark (or dim) spot.

ScannerFreaque

Banned
Displayed 5 part numbers and replaced the display lens Also says--modifications for the bcd536hp headphone related issue added. I don't know what the part numbers are.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else sends their scanners in for the same problem and the same components are replaced. This will at least establish a pattern which will indicate which components are failing prematurely. A root cause and corrective action would be nice too.

Voyager

Unless those parts were stressed by something else, and replacing them are only solving the symptom and not the cause.

But, the info would lead to a cause if they aren't the cause.

ScannerFreaque

Banned
Unless those parts were stressed by something else, and replacing them are only solving the symptom and not the cause.

But, the info would lead to a cause if they aren't the cause.

Agreed. I would hope that Uniden's repair depot would want to know why these are failing.

Voyager

I'm sure they want to know, but diagnostics take time, and the repair department likely isn't tasked with that - their job is to repair and return ASAP.

There are likely engineers looking into the diagnostics part.

BTW, Motorola has 15 minutes to fix a unit. That's all. Just some semi-relevant trivia for you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.