996P2 vs 996XT vs 996 (receivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

I have a 996 I use with a remote head. Thinking up updating to a 996XT to get more talk groups and still use the RH. OR, I can get a 996P2 and use a tablet for a remote.

So my question is this:
I am very happy with the receiver on the 996. Very sensitive, no RFI that I ever see. It just plain receives very well.
How good are the receivers on the XT and P2? As good? Better?
I know this is very subjective, but I don't to waste the money on a lesser receiver, and I have an HP-1 and an HP-2, and those are for sure lesser receivers.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a 436HP or 536HP. With my 436HP, I get occasional Close Call hits from the Virginia P25 statewide system tower in Rappahannock VA, in Chambersburg PA, with a ST-2 antenna about 30' above ground. I also live near a pager transmitter that interferes with every VHF frequency on a Baofeng mobile, but it only interferes with the 436HP a few KHz above and below the actual frequency, using the same antenna.

They are Uniden's top of the line scanners and have Uniden's top of the line receivers.

JamesO

I have 3 XT and a P2, along with 436 & 536 as well.

I like the XT and P2, the nice thing about the P2 is Phase 2, and with a paid upgrade DMR and HOPEFULLY?? NXDN??

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Thinking up updating to a 996XT to get more talk groups and still use the RH. OR, I can get a 996P2 and use a tablet for a remote.

The 996P2 does not have a remote head option. Only the 536HP can use a tablet (or smart phone) as a sudo remote head.

scosgt

Get a 436HP or 536HP. With my 436HP, I get occasional Close Call hits from the Virginia P25 statewide system tower in Rappahannock VA, in Chambersburg PA, with a ST-2 antenna about 30' above ground. I also live near a pager transmitter that interferes with every VHF frequency on a Baofeng mobile, but it only interferes with the 436HP a few KHz above and below the actual frequency, using the same antenna.

They are Uniden's top of the line scanners and have Uniden's top of the line receivers.

Nope.
First of all, the hardware for the 436 is the same as the HP-2, NO THANKS. Not even close to the 996 series.

Second, This would be for mobile remote use. The 996 series turns on and off with the dash switch for the built in AC outlet. The X36 series can not do this, and has the SD card shutdown issue. So no, those won't work and that is why I asked about the 996 series.

scosgt

T/XT/P2 use virtually identical receiver designs.

Thank you Paul.

Then I assume that the P2 would enjoy the same fine reception I get with the 996T? Because that was the real basis of the question, and I guess the only benefit to the XT would be the ability to use the hardware remote head (and price, since they do seem to come up fairly cheap).

scosgt

I won't answer for him, but keep in mind the base/mobile units have a double metal case and that does make a difference as to RFI from a car.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's my sense that the x36 scanners are better at decoding simulcast systems than the 396XT and 996XT scanners I have. Fewer missed transmissions and reduced garble.

Status
Not open for further replies.