BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996P2 Won't Decode Conventional P25 - Tried Everything - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
I have a strange one here, pulling my hair out. HELP. Have a new out of the box 996P2, of a friend. Set up a conventional P25 channel that I can hear just fine on 3 other receivers here (996XT, SDS200, Icom R8600), simultaneous via my amplified distribution system, but will NOT decode at all, nothing on the 996P2. It's a simple conventional system, one group on 172.450 (Blue Ridge Parkway) with audio type set to digital. I have tried with the proper NAC of 140, as well as no-NAC search.

The same exact file from ARC-XT PRO receives the channel fine in the 996XT, and I have even factory-reset the P2 multiple times, with direct keypad programming tried as well, and multiple tries on file upload (and download to verify). The P2 acts as if nothing is there on the frequency, no signal meter indication, nothing. BUT, the P2 receives TRUNKED P25 just fine, on two different systems (VHF and 800 MHz), no problems whatsoever. I've messed with and programmed scanners for many years, but I need help on this one. The P2 has 1.10.01 firmware. I have not tried reloading to overwrite, but will do so. Is my problem possible a bug in this latest October release?? I wonder about trying, if that's even possible, to downgrade to an older version? Any ideas?? P.S. I can't readily test on another service, as all other P25 here is trunked, but again I get the 172.450 fine on 3 other receivers. It's a strong signal here, near full in analog mode or observed on the other units.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
Re-loaded firmware with Uniden loader, same version overwrite (can’t go back to older it seems), no change.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Check the squelch setting on the 996P2. Normally, it will be around 2. Try a different cable and output on the amplified distribution system.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
Check the squelch setting on the 996P2. Normally, it will be around 2. Try a different cable and output on the amplified distribution system.
Hello. Thanks. Tried both, no go. And, to further confirm, connected the 996XT (that works) to the same port and cable on the distribution system, works OK on it.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
Can other signals (NOAA weather radio, etc) be received on the problematic P2?
Hi, yes, all other signals, both analog and TRUNKED P25 systems (multiple) all receive just fine. The crazy thing is on the conventional P25 in question, I don't even get a signal meter indication, nothing!! It's the oddest thing I've seen, and as noted, the 996XT and SDS200 get it fine. Thanks.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
What's your P25 Threshold set at?

AUTO. Good question however, can play with this. The odd thing is there's absolutely no signal at all on the channel, no signal meter, no audio at all, whether garbled or not, nothing!! Very strange. I keep thinking firmware bug, but no way to know for sure. I don't have another P2 handy right now.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
Is anything else within that frequency range able to come in on that receiver?

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
How about setting the audio type to "All" and see if anything comes in.
I had forgotten what this did when I tried earlier, but it does bring in signal and audio at least, but no P25 decode just a full scale signal and the P25 rumble. Starting to think P25 threshold might be my last hope. Thanks.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
Is anything else within that frequency range able to come in on that receiver?
Nothing else quote that high, so can't test for sure, but I do get full scale on the signal when in analog mode, so the RX is good and strong, just no P25 audio decode, regardless if digital mode only or all, and regardless of whether the proper NAC is set, or NAC search.

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
It was on AUTO, I've tried it now set at 10 to test. The agency does not talk very much, so it's hard to test. I do get an almost full signal however, so it's not weak by any means at least.
Set now to 10, and no luck, still no decode with great signal otherwise. Settings for ALL, as well as Digital audio, and neither works.

Ubbe

Set now to 10, and no luck, still no decode with great signal otherwise.
Lower settings are more sensitive so try 7 or try go from lowest to higher while listening in All mode and wait 3 sec in each setting. Also try both FM and NFM setting. If you see SCR on the display it means that you have enabled Broadcast Screen and the 10 custom ones you can edit yourself might be set to include that P25 frequency.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Joe, Uniden America's quality control is really slipping lately. I had BRAND new Bearcat BCD996P2 come in from Bearcat Warehouse and the bulb on top of the VFO knob was burned out. How could that slip past QC???

Maybe it didn't. Things can happen during shipping (from the factory to the warehouse, from the warehouse to the distributor, from the distributor to the dealer, or from the dealer to you). That is why there is a warranty.

Now, all that said, I'm not sure there is a light around the scroll knob on the 996P2. Or do you mean the SCAN/SEARCH backlight?

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
Now have tested with a borrowed P25 portable radio, programmed for conventional on 172.450 and 146.420, for testing.

The plot thickens: The portable is also NOT decoded either, same thing on 172.450. Moving the scanner frequency up 5 KHz and down 5 KHz makes no difference. Setting for digital only, NAC only, and ALL make no difference. Many entries, manually, quick entry, etc. no difference. Strong signal of course.

BUT, the 146.420 P25 on the portable works just fine!!!! So, there is something magical about being higher in this frequency range, even though signal is STRONG for sure, and I’ve tried above and below center. At 146, even in ALL mode, the scanner immediately decodes, even shows the NAC.

Great learning with the portable, BUT I am now to the point of giving up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.