996T & 396T Safe-T south

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I live in Louisville and have programmed several of the southern Safe-T sites in my Uniden 996T. I receive the control channel from the Bristow, Henryville and Floyd Knobs sites quite well. Each of these was programmed in as separate sites in the Safe-T system.

I have programmed in the controls channels for all three sites in my 396T, which I have connected to an outside antenna. For some reason, it seems that it only is "listening" to the Floyds Knobs site. However, if I manually change the channels, it will hear the control channel for the Henryville and Bristow sites, so its not a reception issue.

Is that the way it is supposed to be, or should I program each site as it's own system? Also, am I correct that what I might be hearing on the Floyd Knobs site is NOT also being transmitted on the Bristow and Henryville sites, or is this a simulcast deal where the transmission is going out on all three (if not more)?

Thanks!

jerk

The sites a simulcast as far as State agencies, Emergency Management, Natural Resources, Some State Police traffic.

When I first started listening, Henryville covered down into I-71 and I-64 and Downtown around UL Hospital quite well. But that was before Floyd Counties came on-line. Now I think only Floyd Covers there better as I lose Henryville on 265 West in Indiana. Or they could have something wrong with the Henryville tower.

Now you should also have 303 and 307 programmed in to your scanner, as well as 407 Marengo, you may/should get Madison in Oldham County. Not sure what you mean Barstow site? Do you mean Brownstown, Seymour?

I will be in Louisville today so I will listen and see what I pick up, will be down at KICC
But for Oldham Co you should get Madison, Henryville, and Floyd. And when Salem comes on-line they should be a possibility also.

AL

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you program multiple sites into a single system, the scanner will stop on the first control channel. It will not check for other control channels in the same system.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I get Henryville in Okolona with a bar or two on the strength meter, though Floyd Knobs was full strength, which you'd expect. That's in the car with my 996 having an antenna on the trunk. I also hear these sites inside my home with a 396 on an outside antenna, and in the garage on a 796 with an antenna in the attic above.

(Upman's retirement fund should be doing well thanks to me)

That was "Bristow 416" as in Perry county. I figured it out however, I had all the frequencies programmed in the Bristow site. One of them is the control channel for Henryville. So when I thought I was hearing Bristow, I was hearing Henryville.

BTW do you know if the TGIDs are correct on the database? I've heard a couple that sounded like law enforcement, though listed as DOT.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The talkgroups in the DB are 100% correct ;) ;) Unless the agency is using the talkgroup for other means than what the state assigned it for..It would help to know which talkgroups..

Also, Currently, There are not any simulcasted talkgroups except the Regional M/A talkgroups, which get simulcasted over all sites in the region.. The ISP, DNR SEMA etc... talkgroups are not simulcasted. A user would have to be affiliated with the site you are monitoring in order to be able to hear the talkgroup. Even the statewide MA's are not simulcasted.

Edit: For the first time today I heard the N_MA 2 talkgroup and it was NOT simulcasted. I was only hearing it on one site, not the other 4 I scan. So..It appears the only talkgroup simulcasted in the region is the first regional MA_1 channel..Not all of them as I previously had said..What a coincidence to hear this for the first time just moments ago..

Last edited:

jerk

ofd8001 said:
I get Henryville in Okolona with a bar or two on the strength meter, though Floyd Knobs was full strength, which you'd expect.
BTW do you know if the TGIDs are correct on the database? I've heard a couple that sounded like law enforcement, though listed as DOT.

I did receive both Henryville and Floyd Knobs in the KY Hyatt parking garage.
I believe what you are hearing is DOT-TMS-FC, 28784, they talk about broken down autos, debris in the road, and they are digital and I believe they are linking to ISP, but I'm not sure. I end up locking them out because they chatter much to much about stuff I don't care for... but they are Hoosier Helpers for broken down cars, and the block for accidents or lane closures some times.

One that had me confused was ISP Ops 3, the talked on that all the time and I thought it was mis-labeled. But they switched to OPS 1 the other day so they are correct as I hear them. Jefferson Co IN Mutual Aid is simulcast over Henryville. And you will pick up some District 43 traffic.

I pick up DNR units traffic from Bloomington, Jennings, and other Counties. But I am in the area of "South Region" so any unit affiliated so re-broadcast traffic. But I also think it is being simulcast. SEMA traffic I can't tell, one of the head fire marshal lives in Scott county so I imagine his radio is affiliated at night when I pick out of the region traffic. Now if I had 2 radios, I could track Floyd and Henryville both and know for sure about simulcasting.

AL

scannerfreak

Database Admin
You know thinking about this a little more, Due to the lack of sites in Zone 4, they very well may be simulcasting those, but from what I am told I doubt it, and I know for sure it is not happening in Zones 1, 2, and 3...

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
newsalan said:
Now if I had 2 radios, I could track Floyd and Henryville both and know for sure about simulcasting.

AL

You will eventually have 2 radios, I think that it is a given in this hobby! The question is will you be able to stop at just one!

Go-24

Freqed said:
You will eventually have 2 radios, I think that it is a given in this hobby! The question is will you be able to stop at just one!

Lol, you can say that again!

I predict that newsalan will soon have a second radio.

jerk

scanner_freak said:
You know thinking about this a little more, Due to the lack of sites in Zone 4, they very well may be simulcasting those, but from what I am told I doubt it, and I know for sure it is not happening in Zones 1, 2, and 3...

They have dead spots in the South of Jefferson Co, and it's where Clark and Scott also meet. So I think for coverage they are doing some simulcasting. But I'm not sure. Sometime this week I get up to Henryville and I can receive all the sites in question and doing some checking.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.