996t Audio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesym20

Okay, so my worst nightmare is now true...I bought my 996t a year ago, and after reading some old posts, i realized there may be an audio issue with the HEADPHONE jack on the front of the scanner. So much to the displeasure of my wife, I vowed to never use headphones so as to not create any problems with the audio. (this is a $500 dollar investment, right?)

Well after about a year of scanning, somehow the urgency of not using heaphones wore off and I have used them at night for about 3-6 months. Today I turned on my scanner and....yep with the headphones not plugged in I get NO AUDIO. There is still audio with headphones plugged in, thank goodness!

But I'd really like to fix this issue. I assume the external jack in the back still works, but I don't have an external speaker to test this. Short term---I can go buy a speaker at radio shack. Long term--- i need help

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Anyone had this issue before? Did you deal with uniden? I'll probably call them tonight.

Any help is much appreciated guys.

Thanks!!!

n2mdk

Sounds like a "stuck headphone jack" seems that it's a common problem especially if you leave the phones plugged in for long periods of time. You can try to pulg the headphones in and out a couple of times sometimes this unsticks a jack.
I'm afraid you might have even more of a problem since plugging in a headphone generally disconnects both the internal and external speakers the speaker jack on the back might not be working either.

Jonesym20

okay, so i just noticed like 5 other threads with this same problem. looks like I have to send it in to get it fixed. anyone know a uniden phone number I can call, There website doesn't really list a hotline or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.