996T buttons not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Hello, I have a Uniden 996T that all of a sudden the time the front buttons don't work 99% of the time. The 3 knobs work but no buttons. I did a restore and nothing, a few times if I unplugged it for a little bit and the buttons would work once or twice. I searched the site for answers but didn't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks John

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Also, I can use the button function with the scanner hooked up to the computer using Proscan. Thanks

bama9999

I had this same problem with my BC15XT, and I've read here on RR of other cases of it happening. What it turned out to be was the ribbon cable that connected the display was losing contact. I corrected it by opening up the scanner, and reseating the ribbon cable connections, and it worked fine after that.

JamesO

Sounds like a ribbon cable issue.

You can try this, however, if the ribbon cable is the issue, this will not work.

Hold 0, 3 & Hold then press Power when the scanner is off, this should enter the Keypad test. However, if the keypad is not responsive, then like I mentioned, you will not be able to access this Keypad test.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply, I thought it may be a ribbon cable issue. I'll open it up and check the ribbon cable. Thanks for your help.
John

JamesO

Glad you got it sorted.

I have not looked at the ribbon cable in these radios yet, have quite a few of them, however, would some hot glue keep things together a bit better??

Or was is just a questionable installation of the ribbon cable to begin with?

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I think maybe just vibrations loosened the cable. I wouldn't glue it, it's easy to get to and re-seat the ribbon cable.

bama9999

Glad you got it sorted.

I have not looked at the ribbon cable in these radios yet, have quite a few of them, however, would some hot glue keep things together a bit better??

Or was is just a questionable installation of the ribbon cable to begin with?

My radio had hot glue on it, but still developed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.