996t firmware upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg2561

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen this question posted yet, so I'm gonna ask.

I just got the 396xt and love it. Now that Uniden is capable of ID Display.....

My question is, what are the odds of a firware update for the996t for unit ID display?
None, maybe, in the works?

Is there something in the hardware of the XT's that is not in the T series which prevents this?

Even if it is a "pay per update" , I would much rather do that than buy a new 996.

Anyone have any ideas?

Paul, any non-secrets you can share about this?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Been debated and discussed before...
Not gonna happen with the 396t or 996t.
If you want UID/RID display capability you
need either a 396XT or 996XT.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Greg2561

Premium Subscriber
Good to know

Thanks, thats good to know, but is it definitive? What thread was it discussed under? When the 396xt first came out I inquired as to whether or not it would do ID display and the answer was a pretty firm "no". Now the XT's can do ID display...so...

sjlamb

How definitive would you like it? Don't expect Uniden to adverstise what would amount to a bummer for T owners. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. My money says that Uniden has no need or intention of trying to evolve T series radios into XT series models. Who would ever buy newer models if older models eventually shared the same features of the latest and greatest? Makes no business sense at all.

When I buy a scanner, I tend to assume that firmware upgrades will only address "bugs" or somehow improve existing features. To see and entirely new feature added is the extreme exception; not the rule.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Sell your current scanner (they still get great money on ebay etc) and buy an XT.
Some people have got lucky and only had to put in $50 more for a brand new XT (not us Canadians though its like $250 more here to buy brand new from the store)

now thats a cheap "pay for upgrade" service, going from a used model to a brand new in box current model

Greg2561

Premium Subscriber
Just bought a new one yesterday for $505.00 here: Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Digital Scanner BCD-996XT. That was the best price I could find.

I would never expect them to evolve the T series into an XT, but there are a few features, such as ID DIsplay, that more than likely have nothing to do with the hardware. The huge jump in memory from the T to the XT would be a hardware issue.

I agree, it doesn't make good business sense to offer too much on the older models. But if they did a "pay per upgrade" deal like was first mentioned when the 996T was new, I am sure they would generate revenue from that. There are a lot of people who are not going to do what I just did and buy a new scanner, as they will just stick with what they have.

To be honest, one of the main reasons I bought the 99XT was to make life easier and be able to dump the same profile in my 369 and 996 XT's using ARC XT Pro. With the 996T I had to modify the profile each time I wanted to duplicate the 396XT, which makes it easier to remember how it is set up.

sjlamb

I think you made a wise decision. Keep in mind that the Talkgroup limits on the 996T top out at 250 per system versus 500 on the XT. Each saved ID represents a new talkgroup so, saving and alpha tagging Unit IDs can eat up alot of real estate real quick.

Depending on the system, the 500 TG limit on the XT can be challenging enough for anyone interested in saving and tagging UIDs. With the 250 limit on the T series; that same feature would have considerably less value.

A number of improvements found in the XT series makes yours' a wise choice; all things considered. Enjoy... you're gonna LOVE that radio.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If you hadnt of upgraded id have suggested using FREESCAN, you can dump the same profile into both scanners

To be honest, one of the main reasons I bought the 99XT was to make life easier and be able to dump the same profile in my 369 and 996 XT's using ARC XT Pro. With the 996T I had to modify the profile each time I wanted to duplicate the 396XT, which makes it easier to remember how it is set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.