996T First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1508J

Lookie here guys, I was around in the vacume tube days. I hated to see them thar tran-sisters show up in TV sets I wuz fix'in. I wuz really hot when chips started moving in on the transistors that I had just figgered out! I too was comfortable with the plug in xtal monitors and scanners and the later synthesized units. The 996 thru me for a loop to! Best advise is to read read read bout the technology, read the 996 manuel a few times through, read the RR post, play with one function at a time till you see what you're reading work and are comfortable with it. Don't try to do it all in one day, space it over a week. Then after you get it programed with what you want you can condem the radio as a piece of junk if it don't perform like you think it should. I went thu UPmans chart too, but now the rig is performing 5 by 9,

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
N1508J said:
... play with one function at a time till you see what you're reading ...
Very good point. And on a similar theme, I loaded the UASD with everything around so it would be ready to go right away. In my case, bad idea. I gained a much better understanding of how systems/groups/channels all pieced together by just doing it one at a time and viewing the results of my actions. And doing it manually as well as with PC.

It now makes much more sense. There still seems to be more wading thru menus and twisting and pushing of knobs than I care for to perform simple actions on a channel tho.

But again, that wasn't the main qualm I had. The scan speed thru conventional
channels is fine, but once it hits trunked systems, with hold times of 0,
it slows to a crawl -- and makes time it takes to go thru the same set of channels
vs my other radios MUCH longer.

And on some trunked systems, it'll just take off to the next system before the conversation is complete, even with a delay time of 2 or longer. So it lollygags thru systems when there is no traffic, and when there is, it goes speeding off up the band.

My other rigs are copying all the traffic much faster and w/o dropping out. They
seem to scan with a purpose. My 996 scans like it's mentally challenged. While my
other radios scan quickly/find traffic and hold the whole conversation/move quickly to more traffic....the 996 just takes its time/may or may not stay thru a whole qso/and then meanders leisurely up the line again.

I've read the book, played with end codes/delay times/control channel only settings...
I don't know what else to do.

And there's more......

Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't feel like a case of not understanding the radio
but rather the radio has a flaw in this area.

Look, there's much to like/love about it. But it's very frustrating missing a LOT of traffic
because of this behaviour. I find myself happy to listen to any radio BUT this
one right now because of how much I'm not hearing.

scosgt

Remember, in mode 2 (I think) the ATT will not show on the display even tho the ATT is set. That can be the cause of the sensitivity problems

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
You are correct - and I am in Mode 2. But I've got full-scale on the S-meter.
Lack of signal isn't the problem! :)

Nor are signals being lost to CC or PRI or WX modes .. checked all that too.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
1075 said:
This thread pretty much sums up how conflicted I am right now.....
Thanks for writing. I'd be very curious to know which direction you go.
Spending that much money for a radio isn't an easy decision. You want to
make the right choice, I know!!

It's especially tough when these types of radios aren't available to check
out in every local Walmart. You're buying something you don't even get
a chance to touch and operate beforehand. At least at RadioShack you
can often try something out. Sadly, Uniden's aren't as readily available

I'd say as well as you did to find this site and get on here and post a well thought out
letter, you'd have no problem using the software necessary to program a radio.
It's not bad at all.

Scanners, as opposed to SW or AM/FM rx's, seem to become 'obsolete' much
faster nowadays because of advancing technologies. Almost at the same pace
of computers.

Given the type of systems you wish to monitor, then you are definitely in need of an upgrade!!
But do it!! It's a great hobby and there's gear out now that'll really make the 1990 stuff look so antique!!

It's tough getting on here and researching what to buy since you'll get 100 people
with 100 different opinions. Sometimes you get lucky...sometimes you wind up feeling
like I feel now :)

Good luck and let me know how things turn out!!

Thanks for the reply WABC.

I am going to keep reading and learning. I had all but decided to get the 396, but after reading several accounts of sensitivity and scanning issues I think that I'll wait for the time being and see if someone comes up with a solution to those issues or if they come out with a PRO-96 predecessor that's worth considering.

STiMULi

1075 said:
I think that I'll wait for the time being and see if someone comes up with a solution to those issues or if they come out with a PRO-96 predecessor that's worth considering.

Save your money and listen to other peoples scanners instead. There is a WiKi here with a list of audio feeds. Maybe you can find one for your area :)

That way you avoid buyer remorse, having to do all that research and then either having to program your scanner or worse have to go buy some software :lol:

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
1075 said:
Thanks for the reply WABC.

I am going to keep reading and learning. I had all but decided to get the 396, but after reading several accounts of sensitivity and scanning issues I think that I'll wait for the time being and see if someone comes up with a solution to those issues or if they come out with a PRO-96 predecessor that's worth considering.
Exact same here. Those very issues kept from me from buying a 396 at the last minute.

Thot I'd have better luck with the 996 -- and I'm a minority for saying anything less
than glowing about it -- but it's a Lexus with a governor set to 20mph IMHO.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
pinellasfirefighter said:
lol thats all i have to say about that.. go ahead and buy your radio crap.
Thank you my good man.

To show my appreciation, I offer in return some sage wisdom: Please duck the next
time the noggin is in the path of a high-pressure firehose.

pinellasfirefighter said:
lol thats all i have to say about that.. go ahead and buy your radio crap.

All I was saying is that the delay in picking up transmissions and sensitivity are issues which have been identified with the Uniden in several posts and reviews that I have read by people doing side by side comparisons.

If I am going to spend $500+ on a scanner, I'll consider buying the model that does not have these issues. I haven't decided against the Uniden, I'm just going to do more research in this area before I buy one. What's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.