996T Flashes green on the LCD display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troop04

So I was trying to update my 996T w/ the new software, and there was a communication glitch. i did as the on-screen prompts said: Turn off the scanner, plug the serial port in, and while holding the L/O & "6" button, turn on the power. All fine and dandy until it said there was a communication error. I looked at Uniden's site further, and notice they sell a cable for computers that only have a USB port. My computer doesn't have a serial port and I bought a serial to USB adapter thinking it would solve my problem. Guess I was wrong on that. Any ways. I couldn't update the software. I tried using the two different comm. ports that came up under the Uniden program (comm. 3 & 4), and nothing worked, hence I think it's the cable. So there is nothing in the directions on what to do next if you can't upload the software. So I figured just turn the scanner off. Now when i go to turn it back on, the scanner's LCD display flashes green. So what does that mean, and how do I get it back to the normal scanning status? I'm hoping I didn't clear out it's memory.

n2mdk

So I was trying to update my 996T w/ the new software, and there was a communication glitch. i did as the on-screen prompts said: Turn off the scanner, plug the serial port in, and while holding the L/O & "6" button, turn on the power. All fine and dandy until it said there was a communication error. I looked at Uniden's site further, and notice they sell a cable for computers that only have a USB port. My computer doesn't have a serial port and I bought a serial to USB adapter thinking it would solve my problem. Guess I was wrong on that. Any ways. I couldn't update the software. I tried using the two different comm. ports that came up under the Uniden program (comm. 3 & 4), and nothing worked, hence I think it's the cable. So there is nothing in the directions on what to do next if you can't upload the software. So I figured just turn the scanner off. Now when i go to turn it back on, the scanner's LCD display flashes green. So what does that mean, and how do I get it back to the normal scanning status? I'm hoping I didn't clear out it's memory.

Just keep trying to get the update to take also you can read this message
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=773938&postcount=25

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Look one thread up from this one. Its a sticky thread that says "blinking green screen"...

Troop04

Ok, so I keep trying. I think it should be on comm. port 4 since I only get "Connect your scanner to your PC using the standard PC interface cable. The cable is plugged into a usb to serial port cable. I read through the other uniden flash post. Didn't help much. Is there a way to get out of this programming deal if it's not going to work and just resume to normal scanning? Talk about frustrating when it go right the first time. After further investigation I noticed my computer says comm. port 3 is in use. Can't seem to find what's in use, but could this be the problem if I can't comm. on port 3 if need be, or does the computer just give a couple to choose from so it can run multiple things?

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Ok, so I keep trying. I think it should be on comm. port 4 since I only get "Connect your scanner to your PC using the standard PC interface cable. The cable is plugged into a usb to serial port cable. I read through the other uniden flash post. Didn't help much. Is there a way to get out of this programming deal if it's not going to work and just resume to normal scanning? Talk about frustrating when it go right the first time. After further investigation I noticed my computer says comm. port 3 is in use. Can't seem to find what's in use, but could this be the problem if I can't comm. on port 3 if need be, or does the computer just give a couple to choose from so it can run multiple things?

I guess you missed this post http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=773938&postcount=25

Troop04

JRM5204,

I know some things on computers, but not all. How do you unzip the files? I thought I did it the right way earlier, but I'm not so sure. I'm using Windows XP if that makes a difference.

When I did it earlier, I right-clicked on the downloaded software (which i saved to the desktop), and then clicked on "export all" I think it was. Right way, wrong way? I hope that is my problem, as the first time around (while trying to update the 996T's software) I was trying to use the Uniden program, and when it wanted to use the updated software, I was pulling from the zipped file.

Last edited:

JRM5204

Sounds like you did evrything right. I would just look in your recent files and right click and make sure evrything is unzipped. I don't know anything about computers myself. The guy that helped me with unzipping the files is on the 996 yahoo forums, you might wanna try there you will probally get alot more help then on this board.

Joe

vortex360

JRM5204,

I know some things on computers, but not all. How do you unzip the files? I thought I did it the right way earlier, but I'm not so sure. I'm using Windows XP if that makes a difference.

When I did it earlier, I right-clicked on the downloaded software (which i saved to the desktop), and then clicked on "export all" I think it was. Right way, wrong way? I hope that is my problem, as the first time around (while trying to update the 996T's software) I was trying to use the Uniden program, and when it wanted to use the updated software, I was pulling from the zipped file.

Compressed files are like suitcases with contents in them. When you extract files or clothes from a file or a suitcase they have to go somewhere. One can "browse" to guide the software where one wants to have them put. Once the files are extracted, there is usually an executable, the setup, which one has to execute to install the program.

HIP

Cable Drivers

I noticed you said you used a cable other than the uniden.Did you intstall the drivers that came with your new cable?If not do it now that is why you are getting the error.Hope this helps. ;)

Troop04

Well it's good to know I unzipped the folder the right way, and HIP, I did install the software for the cable. Still nothing though for whatever reason. I did order a USB cable from Uniden to see if that works. I shall see in the next few days when it arrives. It quite possibly could be that the cable I picked up just doesn't work on this application. I have read that before w/ some of these cables. It will be nice when I can download the updated software so I can return to listening to agencies again. I really appreciate all the suggestions/replies all. Thanks.

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
Troop04,

Serial ports/cables require a restart after you've connected the scanner to your computer. If you don't reboot, your computer sees nothing at the output end. Serial ports arn't plug and play like USB.

Hope this helps.

FmrNYkr

Status
Not open for further replies.