996T help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9gunner

I just got the cable that Uniden forgot to include with my new 996. I have a newer Dell home computer, but no matching plug on the back for this cable? Can I buy an adapter to switch it to USB? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nomads

996T Help

It called a USB/Serial Adapter. I just bought one yesterday at RS for $35.00. I think you can buy from Uniden for $30.00.

k9gunner

Thanks for the quick reply, I am anxious to get this programmed, and have been sitting here waiting for the solutions. Thank you for taking the time to post a response. I am off to RS!

k9gunner

Do I have to change any setting, or ports if I do this? When I connect, it says not conected to scanner?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
k9gunner said:
Do I have to change any setting, or ports if I do this? When I connect, it says not conected to scanner?

Check in Start\Control Panel\Performance Maintenance\System\Hardware Tab\Device Manager Button\Ports (COM & LPT), and look for the Comm Port (COMx)"
x should be the correct comm port to use with the software.

k9gunner

Ok, that says Comm 1. It still says not connected to scanner, but appears to be reading and writing to the scanner ok? I have no clue how to program it, but it appears to be talking back and forth.

k9gunner

DaveIN, tried to send you a PM, but said you mailbox was full? Can you help me?

k9gunner

I found the baud rates on the Uniden software, my problem is I have no idea how to program this. I found the Ohio MARCS system in the pre-programmed list, and added it, but nothing is coming up, says nothing to scan, and I can't find where to enter the other systems?

Do most people have this much trouble? I am a police officer who bought this with personal funds for my patrol car. I am about to throw it in the trash. This would be very discourgaging for someone who was wanting to get into the hobby.

k9gunner

Ok, will the uniden software only load the pre-programmed systems it has in it? I have spend 6 hours trying to understand how to enter info into my scanner with that software, and i am starting to think it can't be done? Should I just try using the faceplate to enter all my systems?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
k9gunner said:
I found the baud rates on the Uniden software, my problem is I have no idea how to program this. I found the Ohio MARCS system in the pre-programmed list, and added it, but nothing is coming up, says nothing to scan, and I can't find where to enter the other systems?

Press and hold the scroll control, turn the scroll control until you see the system you want then press L/O to unlock the system, then press scan. The Ohio MARCS system is preprogrammed system #48. You can press .48 to go to the system and then press L/O to unlock the system.

k9gunner said:
Do most people have this much trouble? I am a police officer who bought this with personal funds for my patrol car. I am about to throw it in the trash. This would be very discourgaging for someone who was wanting to get into the hobby.

If this is new to you, then yes it would be hard to understand. You need to read and re-read the sections of the owners manual to understand the features. I'd download a copy of the PDF version of the manual to ease the search method of the owners manual.
http://uniden.com/pdf/BCD996Tom.pdf

k9gunner

Ok, i got all systems unlocked. I will figure out how to lock out the other 87 counties I dont want later I guess. I am on hour number 7 of reading that manual. I just dont understand how to put systems in with the software it told me to download. Also now that I unlocked everything, I am getting railroad, HAM, and everything else I did not want.

I am determined to get this programmed tonight, it it takes me until morning, but after 7 hours, it is getting discourgaging. I don't even understand how to get to the banks or groups to map out my systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.