996T hiccup! Ain't seen this one posted yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERDOLLAR

This problem stumped the tech at Uniden HELP!

The tech at Uniden actually suggested posting this problem here on RR!!!!!

The rig works great except on our 800 Mhz Motorola Type II SmartZone system which uses both Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface, Subisd A42E.

The rig indicates 4-5 bars of signal for approx. 4.5 seconds during which any communications in the 800 system is perfect copy. Then the signal strength bars disappear for approx. 1.5 seconds. All other display data remains on the screen normally. The above indications are in the scan-hold mode. I also selected the control channel while the receiver appeared down and listened to the control channel data cycle along with the signal strength indicator at the same time rates detailed above. When in scan mode and the signal goes down, the scanner will wait the selected delay time then proceed to the other systems as expected. Of course, I am missing 2/3's of the conversation on the 800 system which ain't worth a D---! The other systems are conventional and work without a flaw!

Anyone that can figure this one out can get a job helping the tech at the Uniden help desk!

swest90

Just to make sure, You dont have close call or priority on do you? With either of those enabled you would get the same results that you are speaking of. For close call and priority to work your scanner must switch off the active frequency and then scan the close call bands/priority channels.

Hope that helps
Shawn

SILVERDOLLAR

I know I don't have close call on cuz I checked that first. I don't see any indicators on the screen that priority is on...would there be or is it hidden?? Will check the manual about priority and see how to check it out.

Tnx for the quick reply and tip!!!

SILVERDOLLAR

Shawn,

On page 110 of the manuel under Priority Scan, it appears that only conventional system channels are affected. At any rate the Priority was in the Off position anyway. Guess you won't hafta worry about that job at Uniden tech Help now!!!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the "break" happens every 2 seconds, it is Close Call. If it happens every 5 seconds (as you indicate) then it is Weather Priority (WX is in the lower right corner when this is on...press WX to turn it off).

Dewey

SILVERDOLLAR said:
The rig works great except on our 800 Mhz Motorola Type II SmartZone system which uses both Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface, Subisd A42E.

While I don't have a 996, I'm not seeing that problem on the 396... or the 96 or the 250 for that matter. See my PM to you to possibly meet up and scratch our heads.

Dewey

SILVERDOLLAR

Ahhhhhh! UPMan is the Winner!! He now has UP'ed the UNIDEN help desk!!!! Guess he gets the job there! And a tip of the Hatlo Hat (for any of you old farts old enough to remember that comic strip) to UPMan! Shoe'nuff, I had the WX priority on! I rekon I'll be larn'in moe bout the kar-found thing as I go. I gotta keep trying to get the ole tube days outta my head and get the silly-kone die-odes stuff in!

The rig does work great and although the USAD printout for using the software had a few type "o's" that thru me for a loop my dusty ole brain finally got the hang of it. I find that reading the manual over and over helps with those fuzzy questions. Yet with my problem above, I doubt I could have associated the symtoms with the cause using the manual, lestenwisen in what's left of my lifetime!!!

Thanks to all that responded so fast with suggestions. Hope I can help you guys some day!
Wanna fix an Regency Tube type capzapter tuned monitor? huh? anybody?

SCPD

QRT
SILVERDOLLAR said:
Ahhhhhh! UPMan is the Winner!! He now has UP'ed the UNIDEN help desk!!!! Guess he gets the job there! And a tip of the Hatlo Hat (for any of you old farts old enough to remember that comic strip) to UPMan! Shoe'nuff, I had the WX priority on! I rekon I'll be larn'in moe bout the kar-found thing as I go. I gotta keep trying to get the ole tube days outta my head and get the silly-kone die-odes stuff in!

The rig does work great and although the USAD printout for using the software had a few type "o's" that thru me for a loop my dusty ole brain finally got the hang of it. I find that reading the manual over and over helps with those fuzzy questions. Yet with my problem above, I doubt I could have associated the symtoms with the cause using the manual, lestenwisen in what's left of my lifetime!!!

Thanks to all that responded so fast with suggestions. Hope I can help you guys some day!
Wanna fix an Regency Tube type capzapter tuned monitor? huh? anybody?

Alas, Upman already had the job :)

Pars65

There should be a commonly asked questions, FAQ or troubleshooting in the Wiki to cover what UPMAN says.
Just my 2 cents.

scanjunkie

Pars65 said:
There should be a commonly asked questions, FAQ or troubleshooting in the Wiki to cover what UPMAN says.
Just my 2 cents.
That is a GREAT idea!! This way people would have a central location to go for those hard to answer questions....a UPMan Wiki...I like it!!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is a FAQ in the Database section on the Yahoo! boards for most Uniden scanners. Could easily be added in the Wiki, here, if someone had a few minutes (most of the items for the 396 would apply to the 996, as well).

STiMULi

UPMan said:
There is a FAQ in the Database section on the Yahoo! boards for most Uniden scanners. Could easily be added in the Wiki, here, if someone had a few minutes (most of the items for the 396 would apply to the 996, as well).

Anyone working on it?

Would it offend the YahooGroup?

I will... if I get some support and it won't hurt anyones feelings :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I contributed most of the items in the Yahoo! Group. I would not be offended if it were put in different areas (and am not asserting copyright to the material).

Pars65

UPMan said:
I contributed most of the items in the Yahoo! Group. I would not be offended if it were put in different areas (and am not asserting copyright to the material).
Well thanks UPMan!
There you go, I would call that semi-permission, but you may want to contact the list owner just to be safe.

STiMULi

STiMULi said:
Go ahead and quote me. I dare you! :)
Which group has the FAQ?

I belong to a 996 and a 396 group but they might be the wrong ones.

Thanks UPMAn that was the support I was speaking of :D

Status
Not open for further replies.