996T keypad failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Initially the problem started with the scanner working fine when I turned it on but once it warmed up some the keypad would no longer work. Eventually the keypad quit working completely. The volume, squelch and tuning knob still work. Meanwhile I just operated remotely. That worked fine until I was going to use it with a GPS and without thinking about it changed the serial port baud to highest the GPS could use. This ended up making it not possible to operate remotely via computer. :(

Anything I could look for to possibly repair it myself?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Initially the problem started with the scanner working fine when I turned it on but once it warmed up some the keypad would no longer work. Eventually the keypad quit working completely. The volume, squelch and tuning knob still work. Meanwhile I just operated remotely. That worked fine until I was going to use it with a GPS and without thinking about it changed the serial port baud to highest the GPS could use. This ended up making it not possible to operate remotely via computer. :(

Anything I could look for to possibly repair it myself?

Not sure about the repair but you should be able to set the software to the same baud rate as you set for the GPS.
Most GPS use 4800 and some 9600. All software should be able to be set to either.

I've not opened a 996 T or XT in a while so I forget if the keypad uses a riboon cable connector. If so, those are known to come loose after time.

Hopefully someone will pop in and say for sure what connector is used.
You could also use the front port for remote control with the RH96 but I'm not sure if the RH96 offers the full range of baud rates. Any software package should be doable though as they can all be set to the common rates from 300 up to 115200 usually.

edit: if you do not get any good suggestions, I'll open my 996T up a bit later tonight and see what I can learn.

freqhopping

For the GPS I had to set it to 4800. The lowest for UASD is 9600.
I opened the scanner long ago and jiggled the ribbon with no change.

Just attempted connecting with FreeSCAN using a different serial>USB adapter and it finally made a connection. At least the scanner is usable now remotely.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
For the GPS I had to set it to 4800. The lowest for UASD is 9600.
I opened the scanner long ago and jiggled the ribbon with no change.

Just attempted connecting with FreeSCAN using a different serial>USB adapter and it finally made a connection. At least the scanner is usable now remotely.

Great, I was readying a reply when you added in that you were able to get freescan working at least!
I always forget about UASD software as I never used it for the 996T and they never release an XT version so I was not aware of its 9600 baud limitation.
I'll still open my 996T here in a few and see if I can find something that may be worth trying.
Do you by chance own one of the RH-96 remote heads? Now may be the time to purchase one!

Just to clarify, none of the keys work now?
Does the radio still enter the Function mode when you press the scroll wheel in?
Is the radio getting the proper 12 volts? I've never tried running one on low voltage to see how they behave so maybe checking the wall wart for 12 volts may be worth a check if you have a meter.
I'd imagine the wall warts that come with these scanners may be subject to the same bad capacitor problem that affected tons of computer motherboards. I would think you would notice it with dim backlights though but maybe not if they are powered by a lower voltage regulator.

edit: I always figured the supplied wall warts where regulated. Mine is marked at 13.8 volts but it puts out 18.1 with no load so clearly not a regulated supply.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My ribbon cable connectors are held in place with hot melt glue on each end.
The ribbon cable appears too handle pretty much the entire front panel with the exception of the rotary controls and front panel jacks.
With that, I'd suspect you would also be seeing other issues like display issues perhaps so it may not be the ribbon cable.
I myself would still release the compression connectors and reseat the cable on each end if I were having the problem but that is just me.
Those connectors can be very fragile plus the fact they are hot glued may cause them to be destroyed if you try and release them. It is the retention part that is the fragile part from my experience.
The ones in my 996T are the simple kind where the compression plate just slides straight back from the connector shell a teeny amount and then the ribbon can be removed. If you break the retention slider though, the cable will never connect again so I can't advise that you try this not knowing your skill level with this type of surgery!
I think Uniden charges a reasonable flat rate for most repairs so sending it in may be the best bet as they are nice radios and I'd hate to hear that your connectors broke!

Good luck and maybe look into the remote head. I'm pretty sure I just read a post the other day that Scanner Master had them in stock again.

Status
Not open for further replies.