996T Max 256 Talkgroups S & S Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I recently bought a 996T and have begun the learning curve using Butel's ARC996T software. I also have a BC796D. While attempting to use the Search and Store feature of the 996T for a system site file I encountered an "over limit" message every time I would try to activate the feature indicating I had exceeded the maximum allowable number of talkgroup entries for that system file. In fact I had entered only 80 talkgroups in a single group file for a one site system. A system file requires the creation minimally of one site file. I confirmed the 996T maximum talkgroup value which was "256", the default value. Via console entries of "Search For", "Search and Store", selecting the system file and then having to select the site level file, everytime the "over limit" message would display. AFter reading and rereading the owner's manual instructions for the Search and Store feature, I could find nothing I was doing wrong.

After a week of programing frustration trying various options, I called Uniden Tech Help. The tech was very helpful and during the 1 1/2 hour help session duplicating my situation, he could not get Search and Store to work on a 996T. He got the same "over limit" message . He had to further research the problem and get back with me which he did that same day.

The solution was to change the maximum default value to "255" for a system site file Search and Store. After I made the change, the Search and Store feature worked fine. For Close Call "256" is correct for the maximum default value. For system site file Search and Store "256" is not correct for the maximum default value. In my opinion this is a Uniden software programing logic problem in the 996T for Search and Store and needs to be corrected to allow the user a choice of either using Close Call or system site file. This situation is not discussed in the 996T owner's manual. I never thought to question user programing instructions in the owner's manual or change the scanner's default values. Why should I? This issue should have been identified in beta testing.

Uniden's tech help took a personal interest in helping me with this problem and were great. Hopefully this post will save other 996T users from the same programing frustration I had with Search and Store.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
scanman9 said:
How do you change the default value in the bcd 996t.

Menu/Search Close Call Options/Max Auto Store

Enter the value for Max Auto Store.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Wasn't there a similar problem in the 396T? I don't remember exactly but it seems this issue sure sounds familiar.

kayleesdad

Yep, similar problem with the 396 with the same fix. Menu-->Srch/CloCall Opt ---> Max Auto Store -----> change 256 to 255. Then "search and store" will work and not show "over limit". Now that would have taken forever to figure out!

mrcpu

I have a 396 and ran into the same problem. Thanks so much for your post because you just solved it for me!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is going to go into the FAQ. This question is liable to come up again. Thanks to all who took the time to dig into this and get the fix.

It would be interesting to see if the other scanners that can do S&S have this same bug...

73 Mike

Last edited:

W4UVV

996XT S & S Max Number Problem Fixed

This is going to go into the FAQ. This question is liable to come up again. Thanks to all who took the time to dig into this and get the fix.

It would be interesting to see if the other scanners that can do S&S have this same bug...

73 Mike

It appears that Uniden fixed the problem in the 996XT. Although to be safe I previously had programed the maximum number via Butel software to be "254". Via the scanner menu I manually entered "255" and did not receive a "resources exceeded" or other similar note. I exited and reaccessed the user entry feature and manually entered "256". Then reaccessing the S & S maximum number storage feature again I noticed the "256" entry had been changed to "255" by the 996XT software vice a note that the maximum number had been exceeded.

I assume the 396XT logic for that feature is the same and should be correct.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.