996T P25 System Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ88

I programmed a 700 MHz P25 System into my 996T. I entered the System Type as Type2/P25, and then the site as P25, the frequencies, and set it for ID Search. When it scans the system, it shows the control channel, so I'm assuming it's picking up the CC. If it weren't it would scan through the system and I would only see NFM on the display, as is the case in another P25 system I have programmed that I don't always receive.

My problem is, occasionally I see a TGID pop up on the display and stay there for a few seconds as if someone is talking, but I don't get any audio at all.

A friend of mine said it sounds like a band plan problem so I looked at the band plan settings and I see this:
0 851.00625 6.25
1 762.00625 6.25
The first one is highlighted. I went in to Edit Band Plan and highlighted the second one (700 MHz), and when I went back in again to check, the first one (800 MHz) was highlighted again,

I have another P25 System programmed (400 MHz) that I can't always receive but when I do receive it (see the control channel on the display when it scans it) I also see TGs pop up on the screen, but again, no audio.

I checked the band plan settings for that system and they're as follows:
0 851.00625 6.25
1 762.00625 6.25
3 450.00000 12.5

Note that the first two (0 and 1) are the same as they are for the 700 MHz system.

I also have another P25 system programmed (Federal 300 MHz) that I receive fine. Soooo, does anyone have any idea why I'm not receiving the audio on the other two?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be most helpful if we knew *what system(s) you are talking about*. Let's see the database entries. And if you're using software, which package.

best regards...Mike

kma371

QRT
You need to program the 700mhz as standard p25, not mot/p25.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

DJ88

The two systems I'm having problems with:

New Jersey Public Safety Interoperability Communications (PSIC) Network Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
Site 134. The system is currently operating as Phase 1 but will eventually go over to Phase 2.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4537

I programmed them manually.

To kma371.....With the 996T the system gets programmed as Mot/P25. That's the only option for P25 systems. Then you select the P25 option when you program the site(s).

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I believe this is the issue:

Some talkgroups on this system are using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation which cannot be monitored by most scanners. Please visit the RR Wiki Project 25 page for additional information.

kma371

QRT
Ok, guess you can only do that on the 996xt

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A Phase 2 system cannot be fully monitored by any of the Unidens. We're running into this in Prince George's county Maryland.

A good basic rule of thumb is that if everyone on a talkgroup affiliates to it using Phase 1 FDMA, you'll be able to hear it. If even one user goes to Phase 2, all users are on Phase 2, and that's something the Unidens cannot hear.

You will need a GRE PSR-800 - that seems to be the only handheld currently on the market that can handle this (at least in my neck of the woods - your mileage will likely vary. I think Fairfax county Va. is also using this type of system...). The rumor mill says GRE will be out with a new base/mobile version in a couple of months, but right now that's all vaporware....

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

DJ88

A Phase 2 system cannot be fully monitored by any of the Unidens. We're running into this in Prince George's county Maryland.

A good basic rule of thumb is that if everyone on a talkgroup affiliates to it using Phase 1 FDMA, you'll be able to hear it. If even one user goes to Phase 2, all users are on Phase 2, and that's something the Unidens cannot hear.

You will need a GRE PSR-800 - that seems to be the only handheld currently on the market that can handle this (at least in my neck of the woods - your mileage will likely vary. I think Fairfax county Va. is also using this type of system...). The rumor mill says GRE will be out with a new base/mobile version in a couple of months, but right now that's all vaporware....

best regards..Mike

Thanks for your input, Mike. I am aware of Uniden's inability to monitor Phase 2 systems. Right now, this system is mostly maintenance crews for a couple of New Jersey Toll Toads, although a friend of mine said he picked up the State Police on both their Motorola Type 2 800 MHz system AND this (P25 Phase 2) system a few times, and that's why I even bothered to program it in the first place. Thanks again, Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.