996XT accessing system 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I currently have my 996XT's filled with 10 systems, with 1 group in each. This way I can turn on or off areas and PD/FD etc quickly, and dial into a specific talkgroup with ease.

I now want to add some additional systems, specifically the military trunking ones in my area, but these would be to play around with, and rarely be accessed. I can't figure out how to add more than 10 systems without having SQK issues. I manually added a new system to test this, and assigned it SQK 11, but the period 11 whatever I read about doesn't work for me. If I add a system without a SQK assigned, I believe it simply scans it without the option of enabling or disabling it.

I basically want to throw these military systems into the scanner with Freescan, and either deassign SQK 0 and reassign it to them as needed, or assign them SQK 11+. So I guess I am asking how to dump systems into the radio that won't be scanned without a SQK assigned, or what the proper button pressing is to turn SQK's 11+ on and off, whichever is easier. My last attempt to toggle over SQK 11 ended with me having to reflash my scanner with the computer....ugh.

Thanks.

frazpo

Hit ".no" then 11 or whatever number higher than 9

Are you getting a fast pulse of beeps when you try (.) 11 buttons? Or is it not scanning what you have programmed? Make sure that system is not locked out. Ive been down this road before myself. Trying to remember what I was doing wrong.

RickLeb

the period 11 whatever I read about doesn't work for me.

The scanner has to be actually scanning for the period-11 to work. If it is in hold mode the period-11 will perform other functions such as directly entering a new frequency or talk group.

To test that you have properly programmed the SQK to the new system, I suggest you try this procedure.

With the scanner in scan mode, turn off every known SQK until the display says "Nothing to Scan". Without touching any other buttons, press the period-11. If the scanner doesn't resume scanning then you have not programmed the SQK correctly.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, I was just getting system 1 toggling on and off, and when I finally got 11 up, I couldn't get it off? How do SQK 11+ show up on the S0 chart? I don't have my scanner in front of me, but I think it may be like the old 796D where you have to wait until it's on a specific set of SQK's to press 11, but I couldn't press it in time.

Did anyone else HATE turning things on and off on the old scanners.....OMG, what a nightmare!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
but I think it may be like the old 796D where you have to wait until it's on a specific set of SQK's to press 11,
No, nothing like that. Like Rick said, so long as it is not holding (or you have not pressed function) just press "." "1" "1".

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
OK, I got it working now, thanks guys!

I changed site 1 to site 11, and the period 11 thing worked fine. Perhaps I goofed on the SQK setting when I manually added a brand new site previously?

And yes, if you don't assign a SQK to a site, it will ALWAYS be scanned,a nd there is no way to turn it off.

JoeyC

Did anyone else HATE turning things on and off on the old scanners.....OMG, what a nightmare!

Since you mentioned the 796D...
It is not difficult at all on the 796D to turn banks or lists on or off. When you hit the ( . ) key during scan, you alternate between bank mode and list mode thus eliminating the need to hit keys at just the right moment.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Banks may be easy, but try turning individual groups on and off........it has to be actively scanning the correct bank to do that,a nd if you only have a few talkgroups, it comes and goes faster than you can press a button!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Banks may be easy, but try turning individual groups on and off........it has to be actively scanning the correct bank to do that,a nd if you only have a few talkgroups, it comes and goes faster than you can press a button!
Yeah, they were a pain. I seem to remember toggling off so only one bank was being scanned and then toggling groups with the 296.

Status
Not open for further replies.