996xt & computer won't link

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbones

Recently purchased 996xt. Originally the communication between scanner & laptop worked using ARC programing. Then for some reason the link could no longer be established... This happened within the first day of use... Have tried different computer with same results... Tried Free scan software and still could not establish comm link... Scanner set up for comm link is basically setting serial port baud rate in settings menu.. I have tried 57600 & 11520 being careful to match program settings.
No luck! Have tried using rear port on scanner with different cable, but no luck there either. The fact that it originally worked for first day or so tells me I inadvertently toggled something, but I am at a loss as to what... Is there any other menu items or keyed entry combinations that would affect the comm ports on scanner? Any help greatly appreciated....

BHinAZ

Have you confirmed that the COM port number defined in the software is the same as the actual COM port in use on your computer? If I am reading your note correctly, you only mention confirming the baud rates are the same, but I did not see any mention confirming that the COM port assignments match.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also see if something like a Blackberry or USB software for a camera or other device isn't grabbing your port. Some of them stay resident/active even if the unit is not physically connected.

73 Mike

badbones

Got problem solved... Evidently the comm port that scanner was trying to log into was occupied... Once I freed up that port, scanner logged in with no problems.... Thankyou to ka3jz & BHinAZ fpr your help... It is much appreciated... John

Status
Not open for further replies.