996xt Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

Liquidated x96XT stock?

From the posts here and elsewhere it would appear that RS are liquidating x96XT stock.

This begs the question:

Is this liquidation being conducted with the knowledge/approval of Uniden?

I have seen no announcement that the x96XT has reached EOL and Uniden do not have a current replacement for these popular scanner products, so why would the Shack suddenly start liquidating these products around the Country? It would have to be from a H.O directive to get rid of certain Uniden scanner product 'at all cost'.

One thing is for sure, selling new (old stock?) x96XT scanners at $126-$300 is not going to do much to help boost sales of Uniden's $500-$600 scanners, or sales of the new Whistler/RS models (while stocks last anyway).

But, if RS wanted to make sure that it only sold it's own RS branded Whistler scanner products going into the future, it possibly makes sense to get rid of any 'in-store' competition from Uniden before the RS brand scanners arrived.

Is this, at least, partially in retaliation for RS not being granted dealership of the new x36HP scanners?
Or is it simply RS loosing faith in the Uniden brand after recent events?

Who knows..

mule1075

Feed Provider
From the posts here and elsewhere it would appear that RS are liquidating x96XT stock.

This begs the question:

Is this liquidation being conducted with the knowledge/approval of Uniden?

I have seen no announcement that the x96XT has reached EOL and Uniden do not have a current replacement for these popular scanner products, so why would the Shack suddenly start liquidating these products around the Country? It would have to be from a H.O directive to get rid of certain Uniden scanner product 'at all cost'.

One thing is for sure, selling new (old stock?) x96XT scanners at $126-$300 is not going to do much to help boost sales of Uniden's $500-$600 scanners, or sales of the new Whistler/RS models (while stocks last anyway).

But, if RS wanted to make sure that it only sold it's own RS branded Whistler scanner products going into the future, it possibly makes sense to get rid of any 'in-store' competition from Uniden before the RS brand scanners arrived.

Is this, at least, partially in retaliation for RS not being granted dealership of the new x36HP scanners?
Or is it simply RS loosing faith in the Uniden brand after recent events?

Who knows..
Or like over the last few years RS has sold the uniden and the GRE and even the GRE Branded RS models online and contrary to popular believe some brick and mortar stores sold all 3.So before all the conspiracy theories start this has and I am guessing for a few years to come will continue. So with that being said it is as is also mine your choice of what you want and or buy.I see this thread turning into another Uniden bashing conversation as always it does.So bottom line if you like what you like buy it and quit whining about all the rest.

Boatanchor

Or like over the last few years RS has sold the uniden and the GRE and even the GRE Branded RS models online and contrary to popular believe some brick and mortar stores sold all 3.So before all the conspiracy theories start this has and I am guessing for a few years to come will continue. So with that being said it is as is also mine your choice of what you want and or buy.I see this thread turning into another Uniden bashing conversation as always it does.So bottom line if you like what you like buy it and quit whining about all the rest.

I'm not bashing Uniden - I love many of the Uniden scanner products.

It's just interesting that people have begun posting amazing deals on 996XT and 396xt scanners at RS outlets around the country at the same time as the new Whistler/RS models are making an appearance. It's hard to see how RS can maintain selling the XT series if they are currently being offloaded (dumped?) at such ridiculous prices.

It is not only being reported here either. There are other forums where this is currently being discussed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that it is being marked down in certain underperforming stores, but left at/near normal retail in stores that historically have a good sales rate (this is my observation based on your / other reports). But, that is just my understanding, RS has not communicated their transition strategy to me. It certainly isn't any kind of retaliation...we email the buyer on a weekly basis and meet every month or so. We still have a very good relationship with the RS team and, while we sometimes wish they'd have made decisions in our favor, we certainly respect their right to make those decisions on their own terms. We are looking forward to a great 2nd half of 2014 with a continuing relationship with them.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I prefer to shop eBay and Craigslist for scanners. I like to 'take advantage' of of frustrated scanner owners who cant figure them out or guys who are upgrading scanners. I stupidly passed up an opportunity on a first gen 996 for $130ish on Craigslist. Just keep looking, someone is bound to sell it at a low price because they dont know what they have :)

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If you call Radio Shack in your area you might get lucky. I called 7/3/14 to 3 different stores and 1 had it for $175 for the 996xt.

Status
Not open for further replies.