996xt programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecatohio

. Recently purchased a bcd996xt. Just wanting some input on how to program it. I live in hocking county but work in franklin/Fairfield/ Delaware/ licking counties in Ohio and primarily scan the MARCS iP system. So in that do I just program the "sites" where I want to scan and the TGs I want to hear?
Example:
For Franklin County
Set up Franklin County sites
Add in fire/ems TGIDS...
Then go that route for the other counties I want to set up... all help and input is helpful and I appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
OK so MARCs is a Conventional system. No groups there, as in no Talk Groups. You would program all the frequencies in this list Ohio MARCS Conventional Systems Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference that you want to hear. I have the same radio as you have the BCD996XT. Conventional System is what you would program for this system.
I also looked up here's another conventional : Franklin County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

THIS one, also MARCs but is a trunked system: Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

this add only the "Control Channels" those are the frequencies listed in blue or red. Leave the other frequencies alone, don't program those in, your radio will pick those up without you having to enter them in. Thats the beauty of digital trunk scanners.

In the part where you enter in a New Group for this system- here's where you enter in the Talk groups heres your listing for your county
"
Statewide Mutual Aid Talkgroups " thats in that link above, only enter in Talk groups you WANT to hear. I wouldn't enter them all in. Theres only one I myself would want to use and thats the "Law Dispatch " on the bottom, just one, whihc is TG ID 60505.

Hope this helps you can also download FreeScan program it in there, and transfer to your scaner from computer using a Serial to USB cable or if you have a serial port on your computer, my laptop has one check see if yours has one, do it that way. Hope this helps

phask

Premium Subscriber
Don't follow that other post as it is mainly incorrect.

No need for the MARCS conventional systems. That is just the mobile repeaters. (unless you want them)

The Franklin county systems - as it says on the page is de-commisoned.

Marcs IP is what you want - you need both the Columbus Marcs (simulcast) site and which ever Franklin county site you can receive.

Columbus is ONLY on the Cbus site and all else , OSP , County etc in on the other.

Same for other counties - could add quick keys for each counties sites if you choose.

TG 60505 is just CSX rail police.

That's a start - W8RMH will hopefully check in - he's local

OK so MARCs is a Conventional system. No groups there, as in no Talk Groups. You would program all the frequencies in this list Ohio MARCS Conventional Systems Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference that you want to hear. I have the same radio as you have the BCD996XT. Conventional System is what you would program for this system.
I also looked up here's another conventional : Franklin County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

THIS one, also MARCs but is a trunked system: Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

this add only the "Control Channels" those are the frequencies listed in blue or red. Leave the other frequencies alone, don't program those in, your radio will pick those up without you having to enter them in. Thats the beauty of digital trunk scanners.

In the part where you enter in a New Group for this system- here's where you enter in the Talk groups heres your listing for your county
"
Statewide Mutual Aid Talkgroups " thats in that link above, only enter in Talk groups you WANT to hear. I wouldn't enter them all in. Theres only one I myself would want to use and thats the "Law Dispatch " on the bottom, just one, whihc is TG ID 60505.

Hope this helps you can also download FreeScan program it in there, and transfer to your scaner from computer using a Serial to USB cable or if you have a serial port on your computer, my laptop has one check see if yours has one, do it that way. Hope this helps

au1344

Premium Subscriber
For Franklin County there are three sites, The State Site, The County Tier 4 Sites, and the City Tier 4 Site.

The Columbus MARCS site is where you will hear the police depts from the east side suburbs, OSU, Grandview Heights PD, state agencies, etc.

The Columbus City site is where you will find CPD, CFD, MECC, Upper Arlington, Westerville, Metro Parks, Airport PD and FD, and City services.

Lastly there are the Franklin County sites. You will find the sheriff, Grove City, Reynoldsburg, Prairie Twp Fire, and county services there.
Some talkgroups have the ability to roam between sites as well.

As for the Northwest portion of the county you will find them on the COIRS system. Delaware County is also on this system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

firecatohio

Ok I've been looking at RR and starting to get an idea on what I need to do.. sitting here tinkering with freescan.. look easy.. just need the highlighted frequencies? Blue/ red? Then the TGIDs I want to hear? As I'm getting it bit more lol.. just like hearing the other inputs of yall that know a thing or two.. seams alot easier then the whistler 1095 I still can't get to work..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I've been looking at RR and starting to get an idea on what I need to do.. sitting here tinkering with freescan.. look easy.. just need the highlighted frequencies? Blue/ red? Then the TGIDs I want to hear? As I'm getting it bit more lol.. just like hearing the other inputs of yall that know a thing or two.. seams alot easier then the whistler 1095 I still can't get to work..

See if this will help: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

You need the control channels for the site(s) that you want to monitor. If, in the import process via FreeSCAN, you select 'import control channels only' (on the Options tab), it will import the ones in red and blue.

Then, select the talkgroups that you want that. On the 'My Skip Tags' tab, you can select those ID types you prefer to ignore (not import), such as maybe 'Public Works' and 'Utilities'.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Fire this article from our wiki has links to everything you would need to get started. Most importantly, we have links to UPMan's beginner article on trunking, as well as (on the bottom) links to the Easier to Read manual for the 996XT. There is also a user guide for FreeScan, and that has numerous links into the Uniden TWiki (among other places) for more explanations.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

firecatohio

Ok got it working, I think... one more question is how do you program the interoperability channels IE: 7fire63d etc.... I see single frequency and repeated channels, no TGID but has alpha tags etc...

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok got it working, I think... one more question is how do you program the interoperability channels IE: 7fire63d etc.... I see single frequency and repeated channels, no TGID but has alpha tags etc...

Those are analog channels not a part of the trunked system.
National Interoperability Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The 700 MHz interop channels are conventional but not analog; they must use P25 digital modulation with NAC $293 as per FCC rules.

There aren't too many 700 MHz interop repeaters out there, and those which exist are probably on 7CALL50 and 7CALL70 for the most part. The other pairs can be used as repeaters but would most likely be used as low-power repeaters on the incident scene rather than high-power fixed repeaters on a tower or tall building.

Just program the repeater output as P25 conventional and you'll be fine; for example 7FIRE63/63D would be 769.89375 MHz. The D denotes "Direct" (simplex) on the repeater output frequency.

firecatohio

Got ya.. I'm starting to get it... it's working better than my ws1095 that I still have issues with... but, music next question is what are big differences in the 396xt/996xt and the P2 predecessors? I've got people wanting to buy some.. I may want another too....

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Got ya.. I'm starting to get it... it's working better than my ws1095 that I still have issues with... but, music next question is what are big differences in the 396xt/996xt and the P2 predecessors? I've got people wanting to buy some.. I may want another too....

Functionally I think the new P2 models are mostly the same as their ancestors; the major difference is better DSP, most likely. I've had pretty good luck with a TRX-1 even in Columbus compared to the Pro-668, which I attribute to considerable improvements in DSP (the TRX-1 is several versions newer), and the DSP in Uniden's P2 models is several versions newer than the earlier models.

firecatohio

Still having issues with my 1095 not picking up CFD at all.. but getting NW fire on coirs and SW fire in grove city.. no MECC or anything In that nature.. but the bcd996xt is getting stuff (as well as 668) that the 1095 won't when I'm home... this stuff is just so advanced over the old ways lol

Status
Not open for further replies.