996XT Quick System Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobes

Feed Provider
I just cant figure out how to add a quick key to activate this one system. I have two P25 systems the first (have a quick key of 7 which I can turn on and off. The second one I cant seem to assign it a key. I have given it key 8 put I cant activate it in the radio. I'm trying but I just cant get it.

Can someone please open my saved (you'll need to save and rename the file back to ".996" for Freescan to read) file in Freescan and take a look.

View attachment BCD996XT 21-11-2009 01-14.txt

and many thanks

KE5BCP

Analog Man
The first one (* StarCom21 Stat) has trunked frequencies programmed in, but no talkgroup IDs (which is fine as it is in "Search" mode, but you won't have any alpha-tagged IDs showing up).

The second one (* StarCom21 Stat) has ONLY talkgroup IDs, but no trunked frequencies that it can scan.

On a side note, some of your other systems, "Aurora Public Sa" for instance, has a System Quick Key of 5, but also all of the Group Quick Keys are assigned 5 as well. It would be more beneficial to have the GQKs assigned to various numbers such as 1, 2, 3...

rvictor

The reason that you can't add a SQK is that for trunked systems the SQKs are added to the sites and one of your systems has no sites. A trunked system has to have at least one site.

I've attached a revised file to which I've added the Starcom system including a Lake Cty site, two Chicago sites, and two sites in McHenry County since the McHenry sites were the ones that you had programmed. I also included the McHenry County talkgroups in a separate group as well. This is just to get started as you'll, no doubt, want to make changes. I renamed it to txt as you did with your file.

A couple of comments--Generally, you'll want to assign different GQKs to the various groups and duplicate them only when you run out of GQKs. You'll also want to rename trunked system sites such as Simulcast or Primary since when the scanner is scanning it displays the site name on the top line and you'll probably end up with more than one Simulcast or Primary and not be able to tell which system is being scanned. I noticed that you had some empty groups which could probably be deleted, but I left them as they were.

Hope this is helpful.

Dick

Attachments

• Starcom.TXT
    49 KB · Views: 208

jobes

Feed Provider
You know sometimes I really miss the days of riding by bicycle down to Radio Shack and buying the latest crystal I could afford that month. Four channels to scan and a few crystals in my pocket I was a happy boy.

Thanks so much for the help Dick (can't wait to take system for a spin) and a few PM's I've received from the helpful group.

rvictor

Glad to help.

BTW, I don't know if you are aware of CARMA, but you might want to take a look at their website and consider joining us at a coming meeting. I think you must be a lot closer to the meeting site than I am. :)

Home Page

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.