996XT & Rebranding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankRenda1

I just got a 996XT I would like to know if it is already Rebranded or not

It Came from Scannermaster with the Firmware Version 1.03.02 installed.

Thanks!
Frank

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Latest version is Version 1.04.00. but changes have nothing to do with rebanding options, Adds some features like motorola sub id's or better known as unit id's . Your firmware is ok as far as tracking newly rebanded systems.

The bcd996xt has the ability to track rebanded motorola type II but has to be set up like everything else. It is available in firmware. But you have to set it up to match the system you are monitoring.

The first thing you need to do is download FreeScan and get a connection to your computer. Use rs232 cables provided via the front panel of your radio.
Once you have a connection between your scanner and freescan software spend sometime learning how to use it. Then you can get a premium subsription to Radio Reference and download the trunking and conventional systems to freescan then upload them to your radio. Rebanding issues are taken care of by radio reference.

If you are not used to dynamic memory type scanners you will have a steep learning curve. Ask alot of questions in this forum.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You will need to get a USB-serial converter if your PC has no serial ports (new PCs don't). The Uniden USB-1 is available from Scanner Master, and there is a page on the Uniden TWiki (anything in blue is a link) that has a link to the latest Prolific drivers. These drivers will need to be installed before it will recognize the scanner.

73 Mike

Last edited:

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I agree. I have a new computer with PCI bridge to multiport RS232c, Adapters for RS422 and RS485 and PCI board installed for -GPIB(IEEE) 2 parallel Ports but I had to special order it. My computer as was did not come with any of this. GPIB-2 was expensive but came with good source code headers from labview. I guess rs232 is considered old school now except that millions of devices still use it.

I imagine the new wave of scanners will be truely USB devices. Alot of Computer languages yet have not been given full USB support. I wonder why if it is supposed to be the future.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The USB port discussion has been ongoing, but I think the main reasons it's not fully supported on scanners so far is due to cost and the ability to use older computers. I for one would like to see full USB support in the future models.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I believe that the serial interface is also the required interface to connect to a GPS unit.

Dick

Yes, but that doesn't involved a computer, the serial port on the back of the scanner is the correct one for GPS receivers. When buying a GPS, you need to make sure that it uses a serial connector and not a USB connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.