996XT reception issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here. It seems that over the last 3 months my reception on my 996XT (mounted in my truck) has degraded. I don't seem to pull in stations as far as I used to....even the NOAA weather site. Also....I'll be listening to a coversation and it will just drop. Then it may or may not be picked up again as the unit goes through the scan process. Again, this also happens with NOAA.

So I started with new antenna coax thinking that was the issue. No real improvement. No WX priority on. No ATT on. So these are my questions:

1. Would narrowbanded signals not be as strong...or able to receive over distance...as wideband? (This doesn't answer my NOAA issue however).
2. Has anyone ever had issues with the BNC jack on a 996XT?
3. Any other thougts?

One of the local SD's recently doubled the height of their tower. I thought great as I've been having this trouble and thought maybe that would help. But actually ever since they did that, reception has been worse. That is why I question the narrowband issue.

W2PMX

1. With the same receiver, no. (A narrowband receiver, receiving less noise than a wider band receiver, will effectively receive a stronger signal.)

2. Not with that one, but jacks have gotten loose and connections have broken due to mobile vibration.

3. If their signal is strong enough it could be desensitizing the receiver, but that's a real reach. I'd first suspect something in the truck, or a problem (like a broken connection in the antenna or inside the radio) caused by vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.