996XT slow to capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojoloho

I presently have 2 scanners BC796D APCO 25 and a new BCD96XT.. Both are scanning one (1) Motorola P25 tower.. Northern Michigan and only one available .. Both scanners find the the ID's in search mode but the 996XT is slow in capturing a new transmission.. The 996XT consistently misses the beginning of a new transmission.. I've tried single frequencies and and multi P25 frequencies with no change..

Am I missing some internal setting??

Lots of hours spent but results are lacking..

rojoloho

I'm afraid I'm lost.. When I go to "Edit Channel Options" I don't have an "Audio Type" option..
I have: Edit Name - Edit TGID - Set Number Tag - Set Priority - Set Alert - Set Record - Set Lockout - Volume Offset - Copy Channel - Delete Channel - New Channel..
I'm assuming I missed something basic during the setup.. But without a clue..

jtsmith82391

you"ll have to go to the individual tlkgrps and set each one's audio type to digital. you wont be able to change all at once. I suggest using a programming software via your computer. much easier and quicker.
audio type
Menu > program system > (select system) > edit group > (select group) > edit channel > (select channel) > set audio type > digital only

Also, try changing the P25 wait time, I'm not sure what default is, I turned mine off (0 ms.)
menu > program system > (select system) > Edit site > (select site) > P25 Waiting time

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I'm afraid I'm lost.. When I go to "Edit Channel Options" I don't have an "Audio Type" option..
I have: Edit Name - Edit TGID - Set Number Tag - Set Priority - Set Alert - Set Record - Set Lockout - Volume Offset - Copy Channel - Delete Channel - New Channel..
I'm assuming I missed something basic during the setup.. But without a clue..

To Edit Channel Options press MENU. At 'Program System' press E/.
At 'Select System' scroll to the system where the channel is and press E/.
Scroll to 'Edit Group' and press E/.
Scroll to the Group that has the channel you want to edit and press E/.
Scroll to 'Edit Channel' press E/.
At 'Select Channel' scroll to the channel you want to edit and press E/.
You can also press E/yes when the channel is displayed in scan mode. (Press .(No) to cancel storing a CTCSS/DCS tone or NAC code if asked).
Scroll to the options below and press E/. Press Scan/Srch to return to scanning when done with editing.

Set Audio Type (conventional/Motorola only) choose 'Digital Only' or 'Analog Only' according to the signal type. Select 'All' if this channel might contain both digital and analog signals.
Notes: If you are sure the channel is analog, set the channel to 'Analog Only'. This will prevent the 'P25 Waiting Time' for the conventional system from loosing the first part of the transmission up to the wait time you set there. You will not see CTCSS/DCS/NAC tones for conventional channels in the display (mode 2) with the 'Audio Type' set to 'All'.
Scroll to 'Set Audio Type' and press E/.
Scroll to one of three options and press E/.
All - The scanner automatically determines whether the audio is analog or digital.
Digital Only - The scanner will receive the channel only if it is carrying APCO 25 digital audio.
At 'P25 NAC Option' (conventional only) scroll to 1 of 2 options and press E/.

Taken from: Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Go to edit group>Select GROUP>edit channel>Select CHANNEL>Set Audio Type.

Now that I try it It on the radio it doesn't seem to show up in P25 systems. I think I set it with the software. I'm not at home now and can't check it.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When I go to the channel... I don't have SET AUDIO as a selection..

You're not going to for a P25 system. The Set Audio option per talkgroup is only available on Motorola 3600 systems. P25 systems are fully digital by nature, there is no such thing as analog on a P25 system, hence there is no point in having the ability to set a talkgroup to Analog or Digital.

You can try this - In the "Edit Channel Options" set "Audio Type" to "Digital Only".

Taken from: Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

I guess you missed the part where it says Set Audio Type (conventional/Motorola only)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You're not going to for a P25 system. The Set Audio option per talkgroup is only available on Motorola 3600 systems. P25 systems are fully digital by nature, there is no such thing as analog on a P25 system, hence there is no point in having the ability to set a talkgroup to Analog or Digital.

I guess you missed the part where it says Set Audio Type (conventional/Motorola only)

I thought I set it with FreeScan on my P25 systems but I must be wrong. Thanks.

Sorry rojoloho if I confused you, this old age is a ***** :)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought I set it with FreeScan on my P25 systems but I must be wrong. Thanks.

You probably did, but it has no effect on the scanner.

Remember that FreeSCAN is designed to work with multiple DMA scanners, both analog and digital, so there are options that appear whether they are functional or not. If you had an analog scanner like the 346XT, you could set a NAC for a channel in FreeSCAN. However when you upload to the scanner, it's going to ignore anything that it not pertinent or functional with whatever model scanner it's uploading to.

rojoloho

So, Therer seems tobe no answer asto why the 996 is slow toooo capture..??

The 796D never misses......

Is it design or my ole age ??

jimsmowin

i recently aquired a 996xt myself and used frescan to program. my radio shack scanners 197's run circles around the 996 . i am also confused i now understand why this guy wanted to GIVE it away. any suggestions would be greatl appriceated.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
For conventional frequencies, only use CTCSS if needed due to interference, other users, etc. Uniden's are slow to decode the tones.

oracavon

For conventional frequencies, only use CTCSS if needed due to interference, other users, etc. Uniden's are slow to decode the tones.

I'm using it to eliminate the 996XT's annoying squelch tail. I find the squelch tail to be more annoying than the slow decode.

rojoloho

The sad part is that I've been using their , Uniden, products for it seems forever...My old 796D gave me a chance to see the shortcoming of the 996XT.. All the so called improvements, Bells & Whistles, mean nothing if the scanner can't do its job (Listen).. I fail to understand how this company can market a product that is clearly lacking and do nothing to fix it !! If the 796D can do the job, WHY??

I was a quality control manager on the Saturn project for NASA.. That was the bucket of bolts that took people to the moon.. We developed the philosophy that if it don't work, it don't fly.. We were alarmists that over reacted maybe, but we never played the Ostrich game of burying our heads in the sand..
"If it don't work fix it", Let's not push it off on the next guy..

Sorry Uniden but you just lost a customer..

Status
Not open for further replies.