996XT--Trouble Scanning P25 and Conventional Systems Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlm300

I just got a 996XT, which I am programming with ARC-XT Pro.

I am trying to scan both a conventional low band system, and a P25 digital system with 2 sites.

When I load both systems, only the P25 system scans.

I saw some postings relating to system quick keys. I can set the quick key for the conventional system (which I have done), but not for the P25 system. I can, however, set quick keys for the separate P25 sites (which I have also done).

Can someone please help? Thank you very much in advance.

P.S. If anyone is in Baltimore County, I am trying to scan both the BCoFD low band and the new P25 digital system in anticipation of the switch over.

tlm300

Thank for the great site with the manual. I took a look at that manual and I think I have enabled the conventional system quick key. When the scanner is scanning, the display line beginning "SO" shows a blinking "1" (the system quick key for the digital sites I am scanning) and a solid "0" (the system quick key for the conventional site). If I toggle "0" on the keyboard, the solid "0" changes to "*". In either state it does not scan the conventional site (which has just one group with one frequency.

Any other thoughts?

JoeyC

You are probably not going to "see" a one frequency system scan as it moves by too fast.
Have you turned OFF the digital sites so it is only scanning the conventional, and turned the squelch all the way to the left to verify it is not scanning?

Keep also in mind that an antenna for 800mhz is probably NOT going to pick up anything at all in the VHF Lo band.

Last edited:

tlm300

When I toggle off the quick key for the digital system, the display says ("Scan Mode|Nothing to Scan").

It is not a reception problem. If I load only the lo-band system, reception is fine.

Any other thoughts?

JoeyC

When I toggle off the quick key for the digital system, the display says ("Scan Mode|Nothing to Scan").
If when you toggle the quick key off for the digital system and it says that, then you either

-have not turned ON the unique quick key for the lo band system or you've locked out the frequency in that system.
-you have assigned the lo band system the same quick key as the digital.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually we have a whole article in our DMA FAQ devoted to the 'Nothing to Scan' message

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

Instead of using a lo band conventional channel, why not use a NWS weather channel that's always on? That way you know it would be scanned, and stop on it, since it always has traffic, assuming your quick key for that group is assigned and active...

best regards....Mike

tlm300

Thanks for that reference. I must have disabled all the groups in my one frequency conventional system. I started over and now it works.

I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.