996XT trunking set help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plectron479

I just got this scanner and have had scanners for over 30 years. I am trying to program a state agency that is trunking. I have used the Uniden CD to assist, Marks easy to read manuals and free scan. The issue is this: The system is a MOTO II smart net. There are a total of (4) 800 frequencies for this agency with the control frequency being 858.48750. I have entered manually and via free scan many times. I have been finally able to at least get some communication from the trunking set up. This is my set up as listed on free scan.
System MOTO type II, edacs at decimal.
Site has the control frequency entered (858.48750) and this is the only frequency entered ( i have tried it with all 4 frequencies and just 2 or 3) no change.
Group: I have two TGID entered, I have tried to enter more but that makes absolutely no difference. In fact I am only able to get conversations on one of the TGID entered. I also have the scanner set up to do a ID search.
The issue is this. I have other scanners including a 246t that is picking up all the communication from this agency and on my 996XT I am only getting a very small portion. My 246t shows me the TGID numbers when a communication is heard but the 996XT doesn't even when it was set to ID scan
I have searched for examples on how to set up this system and do understand how to enter the data, but what do i have to change in settings to get the entire communication my 246t is getting?
I thought hand programming the Icom R2 was hard, this is just about as bad.

SCPD

QRT
I just got this scanner and have had scanners for over 30 years. I am trying to program a state agency that is trunking. I have used the Uniden CD to assist, Marks easy to read manuals and free scan. The issue is this: The system is a MOTO II smart net. There are a total of (4) 800 frequencies for this agency with the control frequency being 858.48750. I have entered manually and via free scan many times. I have been finally able to at least get some communication from the trunking set up. This is my set up as listed on free scan.
System MOTO type II, edacs at decimal.
Site has the control frequency entered (858.48750) and this is the only frequency entered ( i have tried it with all 4 frequencies and just 2 or 3) no change.
Group: I have two TGID entered, I have tried to enter more but that makes absolutely no difference. In fact I am only able to get conversations on one of the TGID entered. I also have the scanner set up to do a ID search.
The issue is this. I have other scanners including a 246t that is picking up all the communication from this agency and on my 996XT I am only getting a very small portion. My 246t shows me the TGID numbers when a communication is heard but the 996XT doesn't even when it was set to ID scan
I have searched for examples on how to set up this system and do understand how to enter the data, but what do i have to change in settings to get the entire communication my 246t is getting?
I thought hand programming the Icom R2 was hard, this is just about as bad.

While in scan mode
Hold > Func > Turn scroll knob to trunked system > wait 3 secs for F icon to disappear > turn to the control channel (CC) using the scroll knob, if needed. > The control channel should display the System ID # and a site # if available.

SID:372Ah-000?
as talk groups are active the TGID #'s will be displayed.

If you are receiving the control channel OK then is it possible that this is a rebanded system or did you accidentally program this as a rebanded system?

While listening to the CC Press Func > Menu > Edit Site > Select the site > Edit Band Plan
to check to see what is programmed.

If everything is ok try the setting of ID search while scanning.
While your scanner is scanning the system press Func >SCAN/Search Button.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What specific system? (Provide a direct link to it in the database, if possible.)

Plectron479

996XT trunking help needed

I am unable to make the link hot, but you can find it by going to Wisconsin in the date base, go to county and find Columbia and at the bottom of the page is WI Dept. Of corrections Listed under WI trunking systems. It is Columbia Correctional Institution.
I checked on my 996XT and got the following ID on Frequency 859.4875 SID 3201h. when i put it on hold while on this frequency I hear nothing, but on my 246t when I put it on hold and scroll to that frequency it sounds like a chain saw. This frequency has changed from the Chain saw sounding frequency to this one. Previously it was 858.4875. I am assuming this is a rebanded trunking system? I imagine then in free scan I could make changes for this. I do appreciate the replies and have used the search function here extensively to avoid repeating these issues..

cpuerror

Since you have FreeSCAN and the system programmed correctly on the 246, my advice is to just download the system from the 246 and then upload to the 996XT. If it still doesn't work after that, it might be an antenna issue.

Plectron479

no antenna issue, i am able to receive the signal from WI DOC with just the antenna that came with the scanner and with my outside antenna when I have the frequencies programmed into the 996Xt in conventional mode. In addition I am picking up NOAA weather stations 100 miles away from my location without any problems with my outside antenna. It is a programming error on my part that is the issue.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In Freescan, system type should be set to Mot Type II/P25.
Site type should be set to Mot 800MHz Standard (Type II)

Those two settings plus put the frequencies in the site and nothing else programmed, it should work.

Plectron479

the scanner set to Mot type II/25, this is where it has been set since I got it
Site set as directed above, the four trunking frequencies entered
TGID group have tried none, One and multiple ID numbers found with my 246T.
Currently the Chain saw noise is on freq (859) which I can pick up on my 246T and have absolutely no sound on the 996xt when radio is set to hold and toggled to that frequency.
end result is no communication received from the trunking system on the 996xt but the 246t works perfect. My conventional stations are great on the 996XT

Plectron479

while I have been monitoring the trunked system on my 246T I took the suggestion of transferring the data from my 246t to my 996XT. So I went to free scan and made all settings on the 996XT exactly the same as my 246t. This also has had no change in the ability to receive trunking . Actually the changes made were pretty insignificant.

cpuerror

Try plugging in the antenna you are using in the 246 into the 996. It could be one antenna is more sensitive to the 800Mhz band then the other.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. If you are unable to hear the control channel noise, then the scanner isn't going to be trunktracking that system. Try HOLD, freq, HOLD for each frequency. If none of them give you control channel noise, then there is something going on with reception. If one of them gives you control channel noise, recheck that frequency's programming in the trunked system to be sure it isn't mistyped or locked out.

Plectron479

the 246T antenna is the stock rubber duckie. I only live less than a mile from the place, so it definitely is not a antenna issue. the frequencies are typed in correctly and putting the scanner on hold and toggling to the chainsaw frequency heard on the 246t is not heard on the 996xt. I am walking away from this radio this weekend and try again sometime next wk maybe. I have completely dumped the trunking system and rebuilt it according to the suggestions probably over a dozen times.

ArtU

I have been following this as well, as it seemed with my programed Lucas County TRS system (APOC25), I was not getting any real info from the scanner. Just things like "unit 9"..wait.. "ten-4"... nothing...."OK". But no real information was being exchanged. I have assumed the units are getting the real info via laptop when I see DAT instead of P25 on the radio screen.

I followed the post UPman put in and I can not hear the Control Channel ChainSaw with SQ=0 on any of the programmed frequencies that came from the database. In fact the funny thing is with this radio SQ=0 only produces radio noise on conventional channels, which I have assumed is normal.

Programmed from the RR database; I notice the scanner will say Simulcast for the system, and display ID scan 853.1625 while scanning for a signal. When one is found, ti then flashs the site name. It will display the site frequency and P25 when voice is active then tends to go to freq LNK and some LNK/DAT/LNK flashing during a quick data upload/download (to the units laptop assuming) when no voice can be heard.

When I follow HOLD> Freq Scroll with Dial, I see the site names change, but 853.1625 DAT is displayed on the freq line for each and every site in the system

Also I have been assuming 853.1625 is the control link, but it never makes a chain saw noise. Again till now I assumed the radio silenced this annoying noise automatically as a feature; Auto SQ on any DAT. Otherwise I would get the annoying noise every time a laptop update was done?

UPman, should i be concerned I can't hear the control channel noise?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
P25 control channel is a slight hiss, not chainsaw sound. If you see IDs flash by when you hold on the system, then the scanner is receiveing/decoding the control channel.

ArtU

P25 control channel is a slight hiss, not chainsaw sound. If you see IDs flash by when you hold on the system, then the scanner is receiveing/decoding the control channel.

Hi Upman, you should post your first name so we can call you by it.

I do get IDs flying by when I hold on the system, but SQ=0 does not produce any noise in the scanner, I am glad it is muted and I don't hear anything.

When I punch in my Ham radio 853.1625 I get what I call raspy saw, but is lower in volume then the analog chain saws. It is much more then a slight hiss, it has a "saw" to it.

Art

Plectron479

update on the trunking issue. I tried the antenna on my uniden 890xlt and put the 996xt on hold and manually turned it to the control channel and was able to hear the chain saw noise. So I guess it was a antenna issue. I appreciate all the help and tips. thanks. I hope this thread helps someone else to, because before I posted I searched and searched to try to figure this out without first trying to repeat a already answered issue.

Plectron479

I know that I mentioned it was a antenna issue and it is. I have a outside antenna that works great and picks up the trunking from my 246t with no issues. This antenna when it is connected to the 996xt also delivers the trunked channels, but with a difference. Depending on what control channel is being used the receiver will stop picking up the majority of the trunked traffic while connected to the outside antenna. But if I put a stock antenna on the receiver all is good. I suspect that my outside antenna and the new sensitivity of this scanner are not always working together to give me 100% coverage. I would have never suspected that the antenna was the culprit because it picks up all VHF frequencies very well. Apparently the 996xlt is more sensitive to the 800 frequency range with the present antenna. I suspect that a new antenna will be put up this spring. Any suggestions.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is also possible that the outside antenna is providing too much signal for the BCD996XT, causing it to engage RF AGC (to protect the receiver). If that is the case, you might get better reception on the outside antenna by turning on attenuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.